Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Feedback Asset Store and Learn site are painfully slow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GerPronouncedGrr, Nov 24, 2019.

1. People read novels on their phones and articles and stuff, the considerably less dense and amount of text a written tutorial consists of make me wonder why wouldn't they?

2. spiney199

spiney199

I figure if you're following a tutorial, you'd be doing on the same computer you're using Unity on.

Unless some folks have the tutorial open on their phone instead? I suppose that may be a thing if you're stuck on one screen.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

I've never seen a written tutorial that didn't involve images that would be legible on a phone without a ton of effort zooming and scrolling around to find everything you needed. Video tutorials wouldn't be any better.

spiney199 likes this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you half know the subject matter you can follow a tutorial or video tutorial without needing extreme close ups, it’s a thing I do with tutorials for other software (Modo for example).

Not a lot of people do it this way is not a great excuse for a tutorial website being this poor on mobile.

5. A lot of people, including me, are repetitive learners. When I was churning tutorials, it looked like this:
    - read through all the tutorial, from the beginning to the end without a computer (well, not doing the thing... sometimes read on a computer, obviously)
    - went through the tutorial with a computer, but tried as much as possible without it, but always kept it open and kept synced with progress on a separate device (for when it needed)

Yeah, they could be improved, a lot. Instead of BS gamification and progress tracking, readability, ease of use and fast loading should be the basic design principles. Too bad Unity doesn't go that way.

AcidArrow likes this.
  6. spiney199

spiney199

Well that's fair, so I can understand the need for a decent mobile version of the website here.

I usually just jump right in, tutorial on one screen, Unity on the other (or whatever other program). Usually get my bearings about half-way through and just charge ahead on my own. Can't remember the last time I specifically 100%-ed a tutorial (speaking of gamification).

I just opened the site on my Pixel 5 (so kinda high-end phone) and it loads and runs smoothly. A bit squashed but the text is legible on a phone screen, and I imagine it'd much better on a tablet, or maybe a fablet.

Though I think the focus of Unity learn is school kids doing things on school computers. That's probably the baseline they're focusing on here.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  7. vertexx

vertexx

This thread was about the so-called "slowness" of the Asset Store and the Learn site?
    As I have said before...here in Australia they both work as normal. And it has been confirmed.
    Maybe you guys should stop blaming our Unity and start looking at your provider and keeping to the subject!

8. wechat_os_Qy0wy97_3yRNHVSOviK_4z4cw

wechat_os_Qy0wy97_3yRNHVSOviK_4z4cw

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you looking for a job at Unity QA? Sounds like you would be a good fit.

AndreiKubyshkin likes this.
  10. itsadiz

itsadiz

unity learn , and assetstore is still not working it like someone added a while loop with True and called the loading function lol

tried on Client (chrome and edge)
    internetSpeed = 100mbps

Gm0t likes this.
  11. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Works for me too...

Have you tried restarting the browser and if that doesn't suffice, clear the browser cache?
    How about a different network (mobile) to exclude some routing issue? If mobile works, you can also cross-test that by using "tethering" or mobile-hotspot to use the mobile network on the PC.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's just the speed you connect to your ISP. It doesn't actually guarantee anything outside of that. You don't just connect directly to a remote server either. Instead there are multiple servers in between that the connection hops between.

For example I currently have seven hops to reach Unity. If just one of those hops is down the Internet backbone will try to reroute my path but it's possible that there may not be a new path or that the path is highly inefficient or will struggle to reach it's destination.

Another thing to be aware of: a large scale company doesn't just have one server. It's common for a single address to represent many servers spread across the world. Connection troubles can mean that the local server hosting the website may be down and the connection is having to go to a remote server for the same data. That can slow down things tremendously.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    stain2319 likes this.
  13. sunwangshu

sunwangshu

The asset store is extremely slow today. I can't log in to the correct account, it takes forever to save an asset and possibly will be forever. This is very painful already and I have to rely on something else to decide which asset to buy later.

14. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

15. romandocent

romandocent

It's January 2024, the store is still unusable in Chrome. I would do the asset myself faster than it will load a thing.

16. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

At this point I'd recommend reinstalling your Chrome instance.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's functioning just fine for many of us in Chrome. So it's either the server hops between you and the store, or you have something off with your installation of Chrome or even your computer.

18. phil_71

phil_71

Browsing the Unity Asset store is super slow. I'm trying to 'Add to My Assets' and nothing happens. Just a white blank rectangle appears with a 'busy' indicator which never ends... Reloading the page is also a mistake, as this takes forever and a day! I've been struggling to 'Add to My Assets' for close to an hour already. No luck yet...

19. MartianFrontier

MartianFrontier

For me, it’s not only painfully slow. Unity Learn and the Asset Store also make my browser laggy. That’s crazy because no matter what sites I visit, it’s always buttery smooth. Plus, my PC gets very loud. I’ve never had a browser tab crash on me, except when I visit Unity Learn and the Asset Store. There’s definitely something weird going on. I have a strong PC, and my internet connection is fast and stable. I’m not new to hardware or software, either. Someone needs to take a serious look at what’s happening with those sites. Just because they work for some people doesn’t mean the issue isn’t real. The worst part? Sometimes they work, albeit slowly where even scrolling up and down is laggy. Then the page just goes blank, and the tab becomes more or less unresponsive.

20. unity_B73FC2503FDE368C3343

unity_B73FC2503FDE368C3343

The Asset Store is still extremely slow.