Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Store 5 Star Product Priority Unity 5 Features

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by GXMark, Dec 8, 2014.

1. GXMark

GXMark

Hi Unity Team,

I was wondering if you have ever given any consideration to (where possible) prioritizing your unity 5.0 release code in accordance with the top (lets say 10) asset store products on the market. Covering a range of audio, visuals and scripting assets.

I see many of these authors fighting the beta release cycle and although its purely justified from the unity technologies team to make available features when they become available was wondering if they give any thought to the needs of the asset store authors?

I would like to some feed back on this to get a feel for the direction of releases for this product.

Thanks again
    GXMark

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

They absolutely do. I'm a publisher myself and not top 10, however I've initiated communication with Unity and it has always been very positive. I cannot be super specific due to NDA, however I can tell you that they do provide that consideration. One thing to note... it's far more important to support your current customer base than it is to account for Beta. Once a Beta reaches the RC stage, then you'll want to start making sure you get your ducks in a row, but even then full support shouldn't always just be expected as it's not always possible. Things are currently changing.

As an example, parts of my asset work just fine in Beta 13, however will not compile in 14 or 15 and I have yet to try 16. That's just the nature of a Beta and the way it goes. Things change significantly. But, the point is that Unity really does do a good job of working with publishers to help them prepare. As a publisher, you just have to be willing to reach out and make the effort. They're busy building their engine and can't be expected to hunt you down. :)