Search Unity

Asset Store 2D Resources License issue with NFT ?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SOONSOON_FACTORY, Dec 29, 2021.

1. SOONSOON_FACTORY

SOONSOON_FACTORY

Hello, I am Soonsoon who is currently selling SPUM assets in the asset store.

SPUM : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/characters/2d-pixel-unit-maker-spum-188715

But recently, I heard information about one of the game projects I made using my assets... It seems like a license violation, so I'll leave a question.

https://deadknight.io/

The above project is introduced as an NFT game, but I am using the design resources I made and sold through the asset store as it is.

Even if you look at the link below, you are promoting and making a YouTube video that introduces my undead design resources as if they were made by themselves.

As far as I know, the Asset Store license does not allow you to resell or sell design resources to other platforms or services.

I have contacted the Asset Store to solve the problem, but since the sales agency is the Unity Asset Store, is this a problem that should be formally raised in the Asset Store?

If anyone has a good idea on this issue, please leave a reply.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

You can email legal@unity3d.com for advice on the matter. NFTs are not specifically covered by the EULA yet so I'm not sure they'll have much feedback officially but maybe?

SOONSOON_FACTORY likes this.
  3. SOONSOON_FACTORY

SOONSOON_FACTORY

Thanks I will ask about it with email you tell me.
    I will update feedback after i got response from them.

4. syntystudios

syntystudios

I've been pushing to get NFT covered for a long time. Hopefully in the new year there will be some protections. NFT implies ownership and is a speculation token. A form of currency. It is not why we started making assets and not where we want to see our assets being used.

5. SOONSOON_FACTORY

SOONSOON_FACTORY

I agree your opinion.

Perhaps, One of the buyer will make the NFT product with asset from asset store, then it will infringe the rights of not only the asset creator but also all other asset buyers.

Because, usually NFT products are known for having copyrights or ownership of design contents.

Therefore, I think that Unity Asset Store should be able to present a solution to solve the problems.

Malbers likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Isnt this the same as selling in game items ? The NFT is not relevant imo, is the general idea of selling in the game items that the art is coming from the store.

I think this is allowed, otherwise would have been an issue long time now, but i am not sure.

7. SOONSOON_FACTORY

SOONSOON_FACTORY

At the first time I thought like as you.

But after i been searching that developer (Above proejct, Dead Knight) how to sale his project, I thinks this proejct has a problem with licencse violations.

He didn't make any function for gaming yet ( has a just plan ) . But he alrealy started to sale tokens ( I don't know block-chain information cleary..) with design products made with my asset and asset design resource for NFT Product sales.

When i visited project's discode channel, i could see many customer has a lots of interested this project because it looks pretty good ( All resources made only by my assets ). And developer uploaded making pixel art it seems like design resouces he made it himself at youtube. ( It is also same with my asset resource!! just like as replay, OMG )

As you know usually NFT product sales copyrights and rights like as design contents. The developer did not say that his sales were only rights to the Dead Knight in-game content, nor did he explain that his NFT sales rights did not include ownership of copyright in design content.

Customer who don't know well about development may mistakenly think that they are buying the rights to the design with this NFT Products.

If this project already launching and has a their own fun experinces with developer's work, and sales items made by my asset in game project, that is not problem i thinks. But Now he sale design value asset made by Asset for NFT sales.

To summarize, I think the problem is not to sell the value of the game after the game is made, but to sell design content using assets before the game is released as NFT products as if it were a resource created by oneself.

If this problem is allowed, I think that the rights of buyers who have purchased assets for a fee through the asset store may be infringed.

Therefore, I think that this part should be clearly prevanted or the Unity Asset Store should be aware of the problem.

ss2018bro, Kim-H-June and Malbers like this.