Search Unity

Asset Request ..uh.. Request.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D12Duke1, Mar 22, 2016.

1. D12Duke1

D12Duke1

Good morning/evening!

I'll try to make this brief.

Is there an area of topic that's sole purpose is to 'request assets' on the Asset Store? I'm sure 99% of us need specialized items for whatever we're creating. Being the full-time American Dream solo dad comes with one perk and one advantage; I can afford to purchase any asset I request and on the flip side, I don't have time to write 8000 scripts and learn a new language.

Is it there and I'm missing it or is this something that is lacking completely?

Kiwasi and Tomnnn like this.
  2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess something like that would be useful like you make a "request" and then people upvote it if they also want it. Rather then making something that people might want

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. drewradley

drewradley

There is a job section. If you have money to buy an asset, maybe you can get someone to make it for a little more with the rights to sell it after six months or so. Or just pay for the whole thing and sell it yourself.

4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I think an asset request forum would be a great addition. Newbies can use it to find commonly used assets and pros can use it to see what's needed in the community. Win win for everyone involved :)

Having issues making it big on the asset store? Head over to the {sub forum name} forum and see what's needed!

Rombie and Kiwasi like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

In the mean time you might be able to start a thread in the asset store forum.

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

8. zoran404

zoran404

The only way I see this being viable for asset creators is if the requesters are voting with money.
    Otherwise the asset creators might not have enough purchases to cover their time. This would likely be the case if you are requesting something with a narrow range of use cases. They also risk being fooled by fake requests.

9. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I was interested in learning more about the community and exchanging ideas than profits.

10. d12duke

d12duke

What about a voting system? Like, an four poll voting system (would buy it, no need to buy it, cool but not buying it, dumbaseff and not buying it)... That way if they see "40" I'd buy it votes.. ?

11. d12duke

d12duke

12. elmar1028

elmar1028

Its hard for people to part with their ideas :p

13. voltage

voltage

Make MMO button would do lovely with the new kids in town.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your best bet is simply to ask for the asset you have in mind and chances are someone's done it / will modify their asset on request to suit you (possibly for a moderate fee).

15. zoran404

zoran404

There are already several tools for making MMOs on the asset store. You're pretty much covered from networking to UI.

16. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

What about asking a freelancer?

17. D12Duke1

D12Duke1

Getting decent freelancers seems to be an issue. They either want 7000 dollars for a FPS movement script, or will work super cheap but couldn't code a remote control..

With that said, this is definitely not an MMO creation, or any relevant creation that's been done for that matter... So the tools I am needing are fairly specialized.

I am willing to pay well (very well for some of the complicated items).. If there are any takers feel free to IM me.

Edit: Steering back on topic. Some sort of system to allow users to 'vote' or at the very least acknowledge a scripting tool would be nice.. And a forum thread dedicated to it's purpose, I believe, would be very beneficial to those requiring those special need assets that are willing to pay for them.

18. D12Duke1

D12Duke1

Ignoring troll statements is something I generally do, but in this case I very much see your point and do agree. I see a lot of posts very similar in nature to mine that seem like they're asking for their game to be created for them within a week of 'work'..

Being a long-time modder ( duke3d long-timer here :) ) I fully understand the length of time and the effort placed in creating a script; Much more than that, an asset.

If I want an 'out of the box' object placing tool that instantiates an object from a given pool that snaps with colliders that has a UI built in but I don't have a week to learn the code, three days to throw it together and another two-three days pulling my hair out trying to figure out why something is not working.. Then I will glady pay upwards to 200-300 dollars for someone to create it for me. FFS that run-on sentence FTW.