Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Pipeline Version 2?

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by Hyp-X, May 16, 2019.

1. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

julian-moschuering likes this.
  2. MartinGram

MartinGram

Administrator

Hello Hyp-X,

That is correct.

The first part of the new asset pipeline did land in 2019.2. Working on features as big as the new Asset pipeline often requires multiple releases before the feature is ready to be enabled for everyone. That is exactly the case here, we landed the majority of the foundation work in 2019.2, so that we can continue developing and testing the next phase of the feature and work with smaller change sets leading into 2019.3

It is not recommended that you enable the new pipeline, as it almost certainly won't work for your project. We did end up keeping the option to enable / disable it, as we have been using that flag to test the new pipeline ourselves and we marked it experimental to indicate its current state.

If all goes to plan, we will toggle the flag on for 2019.3 and have the new pipeline be the default way to import assets into Unity. There will be more information coming on the new pipeline at Unite Copenhagen this September.

Best regards
    Martin
    Lead Product Manager, EMEA

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    no00ob, optimise, phobos2077 and 5 others like this.
  3. fherbst

fherbst

Googling for "assetpipeline v2 unity" still brings this up as the top result. Is there better documentation now?

The 2019.3 blogpost states "A new experimental functionality is that you can have multiple revisions stored in the Asset Pipeline which will greatly improve platform switching and swapping between previously imported versions of assets." – is that something I have to enable somehow, or is it "just working"? Switching platforms doesn't seem to be faster than before.

OxDEADFACE and Storm4_ like this.
  4. otrev

otrev

HELLO,
    i'm at the checing stage of my pipe-line.
    i have preety much procedural materials and geometry.
    all my scene are need to be "reusable" and also specific geometry and materials across many scences...
    all shaders should be float 32bit texture maps - for photorealism. - as i know it's not possible to store "shders results" ("post processing")

and i wondered what the best data structure for me
    may this pipe-line can help me somewhy?

5. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hey @fherbst , we just released a blog post which talks about the new Asset Import Pipeline: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/10/3...lid-foundation-for-speeding-up-asset-imports/
    In the very near future we also have some more in depth documentation coming out for the Manual, but I hope this helps to answer some of your questions for now.

6. MostHated

MostHated

If my project is 2019.2 but says it is still using Asset Pipeline V1, at the current release of 2019.2(11f1), is using Asset Pipeline V2 still something that is only to be done in 2019.3? It would be great if I could use it, but I can't use 2019.3 yet because several of the assets I am using with HDRP are not going to update their asset to 2019.3 until it is out of beta.

(Side question, is there any rough ETA on when 2019.3 is anticipated to reach full release? Very rough as in, is it possible by the end of this year or probably closer to mid/late 1Q 2020?)

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

8. MostHated

MostHated

I definitely see where you are coming from, but technically, I don't think the feature would count as being backported in this instance considering it is actually available and in 2019.2? I started a new project after changing the setting and the new 2019.2 project is using AP V2, so since it would not be a "new feature", shouldn't it be receiving bug fixes and what not and wouldn't that eventually make it stable enough to use?

9. MostHated

MostHated

Yeah, nevermind about that, lol. I figured I would give it a test and see how it held up. The answer is "not good". Kept ending up with missing prefabs and invalid target hash / guid issues.

10. Cuttlas-U

Cuttlas-U

hey I'm using this new pipeline on unity 2019.3.0f6,
    when ever I switch to unity editor I've got a 1to 2 sec refresh delay and the editor seems to trying to re-Import some thing ,
    when i take a look at editor log i see that Initializing asset snapshot is taking too much time ,

Any one else have this problem or a solution for it ?

===========

Edit : it got fixed , I was using 4 project linked to the main one and the "packages" folder was not linked so each time it was trying to re-import them and I gotta say that was fast :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  11. Saturn1004

Saturn1004

Is there some way to clear the cache for asset database v2?
    Or is going into the library folder and manually deleting cache and probably breaking your project the correct way?
    It is my understanding that when switching build targets it keeps seperate copies of all the textures in the library so it will be fast if you ever switch back to that build target.
    But what if I want to get rid of those cached files because I don't plan on switching build targets, or maybe I want to make a full project backup that isn't bloated with all the cache for different build targets?

Hopefully future versions of database v2 will come with some way to better control what is kept in cache within unity.

Even a "Delete all cache for all but the chosen build target" button would go a long way.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  12. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hey, so we don't have a direct way of clearing the cache, but we have recently discussed some approaches we can take.

We definitely want to provide a flexible way of deleting the Local Cache based on various parameters (build target being one of them, graphics API could be another one, for example).

Getting this into 2020.2 could be a possibility, but prior to that I can only think of workarounds that may not work under all situations.

For example, connecting to the Unity Accelerator and using it as a global cache, you could delete your Library folder and start up your project much faster, and it would only download the files from the Accelerator for the currently selected build target (this could help address the point you made about making a full project backup).

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  13. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Is there some way to abort the Auto-Conversion to Asset Pipeline 2?

I have problem opening an old project on Unity 2019.3, it is losing some references and I think its caused by some problem when converting to the new asset pipeline.

14. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

There’s a dialog we launch when we detect a project is on V1 and being opened with 2019.3:

is that not what you’re seeing the first time you open the project?

15. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

Thanks, I had not seen this dialogue before, trying again it appeared and now it worked.
    But this bring me some problems. I will need to update to V2 to keep compatibility with future Unity versions. My problem is with 2DToolkit, tk2dSprite loses all references to the tk2dSpriteCollections after upgrading to v2.