Search Unity

Asset Namespaces

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by AndreasO, May 27, 2018.

1. AndreasO

AndreasO

Hi,

will Package Manager solve the chaos in the "Assets" folder that will inevitably start as soon as I import one or more packages from the Asset Store?

I'd love to see a way so I can at least visually remove the clutter from my project's assets. At the moment my go to solution is to create a subfolder called "_project" so it gets sorted to the top in the Project view. I have tried for several times between Unity versions 3, 4, 5, 2017 and now 2018 to move and order imported assets but to no avail. Some assets break immediately, some only in subtle ways so that I have more trouble later to figure that out. Moving imported assets also makes it nearly an impossible task to reliably update to future versions.

So basically, I think it would be great to separate out each imported package to an external assets folder so you always know which files came with it into the current project. Unity, i.e. the compiler, could then lump all assets folders together to form the final project's "Assets" folder to compile everything. The Project view should in turn display the project's own assets as the top most item and below this maybe an item called "external assets" that can be expanded and those items patented to it shows the namespace and used version of each imported package. It should allow to expand even further to reveal the package's internal "Assets" folder, etc.

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @AndreasO ,

This is exactly how we solved this problem. You can look at Unity 2018.2 beta to get a glimpse of your concept in real-life! Instead of
    external assets
    , we have chosen
    Packages
    for the other folder name. Hope this is ok! :p

Regards,

Pascal

3. AndreasO

AndreasO

Oh wow. I'll check it out. Thanks. :D