Search Unity

Asset mixing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tharlimas, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Tharlimas

Tharlimas

Before buying different assets and maybe wasting money I have a lag in information if some assets can be used together.
    I am looking for buying Playmager and TopDown Engine but I cannot figure out if these two will work fine together in one project.
    Does anybody has any experience with using them together?

Due to this is my first post I do not know if I fetched the right section in the forum :)

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If an Asset doesn't specifically state on the store page or in their documentation they are providing instructions and integration for Playmaker, you can be pretty certain they have not done so. Playmaker calls into other code by executing what they call "Actions". You should expect to have to write your own custom Playmaker Actions to integrate any 3rd party code, unless they have already done so for you. If they have already done the work to integrate with Playmaker, you'd think they would advertise that as a feature.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W166

Does that make them not compatible? Of course not. But some people get this mistaken idea that using Playmaker means you'll be creating Unity games while skipping C# entirely. That's not really the case, nor what Playmaker is intended to even do. Playmaker has you writing C# in their own documentation, so expect to still need to learn C#. Apologies if I've made an incorrect assumption here about what you're really asking.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Tharlimas likes this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

It's never certain with these types of tools.

If you're good at coding, make sure that each asset you buy includes the source code so that you can make any changes that you need to. Sometimes you have add additional code to get assets to work together. Since Playmaker is visual scripting, it probably provides similar ways to communicate with the other asset similar to how you would with code.

If you are not a coder, though, I would try to maybe ask the developer of each asset if they have any official integration. The developer may not be able to give you a definite answer if they are not familiar with the other asset. The More Mountains has a thread in the assets forum where they regularly reply to questions.

Joe-Censored and Tharlimas like this.
  4. Tharlimas

Tharlimas

Thank you very much for your opinion! Both of you. I will get in touch with both to see if Playmaker would be an option or not. That would be something I could pass on and do it in C#

5. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

The Playmaker is one of the oldest and most useful assets in the asset store, and also one of the most reliable. is a purchase that is certainly worthwhile even for those who are already programmers... and extremely useful for those who are not programmers...
    The playmaker allows you to manipulate scripts through set / get properties. so maybe you have support for the TopDown Engine, I recommend you ask in the official playmaker forum about this.

Tharlimas likes this.