Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Management, best practices.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by markfrancombe, Apr 22, 2021.

1. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

I am using a lot of graphic asset packs from the Asset Store. The way I have used them is that I always let them stay in their imported location, in case a pack is updated and then I can reimport to the same place and the update makes it to my game. Assets I have manipulated in some way (many buildings don't have seperate doors or interiors, I add them) are kept separate from the asset pack in a MyStuff folder.
    The size of the project has become quite huge, about 6 gb, however my exported game (apk file) is just 100mb.
    It's got to the point where I am adding details and props, but the "heavy lifting" is done, and the programmer is now required to join the project. So far its been locally stored on my machine, and manually backed-up to a seperate disk and a cloud service every day. We now want to move to GitHub so we can work remotely. HOWEVER... of course we don't want to pay for storage of stuff that is not even used in the project. So my question is twofold.

1. How can I copy all USED assets into a folder structure in the Project and delete the original asset imports, I DID NOT of course decide. "ill use THIS tree" and then systematically move it to a USED ASSETS FOLDER, their parts (prefabs, meshes texture materials etc) still lie in the Asset packs imported structure.

Heres my project, just for fun...

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 13.46.13.png

2. There is no part 2... except to give me a general "best practice" approach for project organisation.

regards

Mark

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Asset Hunter Pro is a pretty popular option, and it's on sale right now, too.

I don't know of any best practices for managing assets. Other than using Git LFS to make large file storage in your repositories less of a pain.

markfrancombe likes this.
  3. I have a separate project "work" project, with the same settings as my main one, where I install all the garbage you just mentioned and more. I don't care if it doesn't work. I install what I need, I gather what I need at the moment, export it separately as a .unitypackage file and import it in the main project, so I put wherever I want. I bring over only the files I absolutely need, no more. If the asset updates, just repeat the process, but I usually don't really care about that.

markfrancombe and JoeStrout like this.
  4. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

I dont know anything about git lfs... This i need to google... Thanks