Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Import / Refresh performance got worse?

Discussion in '2017.2 Beta' started by OneManBandGames, Sep 18, 2017.

1. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Hi all,

when I open my project with the 2017.2.0b11 beta it seems to run fine, however whenever the system triggers an asset import refresh, the refresh takes about 4-5 minutes during which I can't use Unity. In Unity 5.6.0p4 the same refresh is done within 2-5 seconds, it was noticeable, but not that much of a deal.
    I can switch automatic refreshes off in the preferences, but even then it seems unity itself triggers a refresh here and there and I can barely work with the new version since it always might freeze inbetween for a couple of minutes.

Did anyone else notice a similiar issue with the asset refresh?

The project folder is 27.5 GB over 340.000 files in 1600 folders, could this be the cause of the problem? I did not look into possible ways to reduce the size yet since it did not cause me much problems in 5.6.0p4.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    It would be great if you could file a bug report for this issue and help QA reproduce it. Please reply in here with the case # if you do.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

One additional note to what @LeonhardP wrote... do not try to submit a 30gb project with the Unity Bug Reporter Tool, it won't work.

Submit a Bug Report without the project and ask QA to provide a secure location where you can upload your project. QA usually provides an owncloud location on their Unity servers which is password protected.

4. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Thanks for the replies, I will try to reproduce the problem with one of the available unity example projects so that I can use those for submitting the bug report. If it only shows up in my own project, I will do as Peter77 suggested.

LeonhardP likes this.
  5. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

After some testing with the survival shooter example in both versions I noticed that the asset refresh does indeed take a bit longer in the newer Unity version:

2017.2.0b11:

Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.029341 seconds (Nothing changed)

5.6.0p4:

Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.006068 seconds (Nothing changed)

So the asset refresh takes roughly 5 times longer in the newer version, which is barely noticeable in the shooter example project, but scales up accordingly in my large 30 GB project. However I also found out that the "4-5 minute" refresh I was writing about in my original post was mostly caused by me running another game in the background while using Unity, which apparently influences the refresh duration far more than I was aware.

I think this barely qualifies as bug since it is expected that the asset import / refresh will take longer when there is additional functionality in a newer version of Unity. Also there are probably numerous ways how I could reduce the filesize / file count in my project to bring down the duration of the refresh from my side. I opened a case for it nevertheless so the team can check if the increased duration of the refresh is "in order / as expected" due to new functionality in Unity or if it is something that can be improved upon. Case number is 952185.

Peter77 likes this.