Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Import "Cancel" Button Behaviour

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Arycama, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Arycama

Arycama

I'm quite excited about some of Unity 2017.3's features. Having a "Cancel" button on asset importing looked quite helpful, however it's current behaviour seems to be counter productive.

The cancel button only gives you the choice between continuing to import, or quitting Unity. If you quit Unity and reopen it, the asset reimporting will continue, except without a cancel button.

upload_2017-11-30_20-28-34.png

The cancel button should still be visible when re-opening Unity, but cancelling the import should not cause the program to quit. Perhaps unimported assets could be left unusable, (Similar to when the asset importer creates a default asset for something it fails to import) and the asset could then be imported/reimported at a later time which is more convenient for the user. Perhaps "File/Import Unimported Assets" or similar.

Another strange behaviour is when you click "Cancel" for the first time, there is a choice between "Quit" or "Continue", but there is also an exit icon in the upper right corner. I expected clicking this icon to continue the import and simply close the dialog window, however it closes Unity. (Unless this is a bug)

This is just a bit of feedback, hopefully it's useful. I work full-time at a game development studio, and it's great to see the Asset-Importing side of things getting a bit of attention as asset importing/refreshing consumes a huge amount of time in a big project.

Grizmu likes this.