Search Unity

Asset Hunter (Project cleaning tool)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KristianHJ, Oct 15, 2014.

1. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi bteitler

No he never responded and I couldn't figure out what his problem was. Asset Hunter by default does not deal with assets located in the resource folder since everything in there is added to the Unity build by default

2. bteitler

bteitler

Well I tested Asset Hunter for the first time on a large project of mine, and it didn't break anything and there are a fair amount of run-time only instantiated dependencies, so probably was a false alarm. Nice tool!

3. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Good to hear. I've sold quite a few and nobody (except for that review) have mentioned that my tool deleted stuff it shouldn't have, so I think its quite solid :)

Thanks for your reply (and your purchase)

4. Zephyr-Zhang

Zephyr-Zhang

Hi, I am using uGUI with Sprite Packer, the sprites are being packed before building. So they are wrongly included in unused assets list.

Since Sprite Packer is official atlas tool of Unity, you will support it right?

5. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Zephyr

I'm actually unsure. If uGUI is using Unity's sprite packer it should work since I'm using Unity's own API to locate dependencies. If it doesn't work I'll need to figure out whats going on. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Ill to se if I can replicate

6. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi again Zephyr

Did a test with using Unity's Sprite Packer Solution, and Asset Hunter shows the right assets. Unfortunately I cannot support that all 3rd party plugin register correctly with Asset Hunter, especially when they programatically make alterations to referenced asset such as creating sprite Atlas.

Sorry that I cannot help you

7. JBacal

JBacal

Nice asset!

I can't select the folders to exclude if they are root folders in the asset folder. I can only select subfolders of these root folders. Is there a way to select the root folders?

Could you add a button to quickly check and uncheck all used assets types?

It would also be nice to have a numerical total for used asset sizes.

It would also help to have the delete prompt specify which folder is being deleted because it is sometimes hard to judge which delete button I am pressing in long list.

Thanks,
    Jay

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  8. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Jay

Those are all good suggestion, Ill add those to the back-log.

Happy New Year,
    Kristian

9. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

I just submitted 1.3.6 and some of your suggestions are in.

First of all, I couldn't replicate the issue with not being able to select the root folder so I didn't do anything about that. Feel free to mail/post repro steps.

Second, I added "Check/Uncheck all types" and also the Delete warning now contains the name of the folder being deleted.

Should be available for download when Unity has reviewed it (5-10 days)

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Ill add the added numerical value of all used assets in one of the next versions of Asset Hunter.

10. JBacal

JBacal

Thank you very much for your continuing support of your excellent asset.

Best,
    Jay

11. cj31387

cj31387

I'm considering buying this asset. But I don't want to delete unused assets I want to move them to a unversioned folder which i can ignore in my repository. Does this asset delete unused assets or move them to a folder? Or is both a option?

12. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi cj

Currently the only option is to delete, but I think its a good idea to give the option of moving into another folder instead.
    Ill add that idea to the backlog, but for the time being Asset Hunter only supports deleting

13. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

Bought this today. Really like it so far. Found one quirk - It thinks art used for splash images aren't being used.

14. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Mark. Thanks for letting me know.
    That might very well be, I'm analyzing the build log to find unused asset, and perhaps splash screens aren't included there . Could you tell me which buildtarget the splashscreens are for?

15. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

I was targeting iOS, iPad & iPhone.

16. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Thanks, Ill look into that

17. cj31387

cj31387

Can you PM me when you add this please? I'll buy as soon as this is added.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  18. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Sure :)

19. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,
    Thanks, its a really useful tool.

However I find when not used it on a project for long and maybe is unloaded or updaed etc, I often forget to re-add folders as "excluded" in the settings.

It would be nice to be have a more persistent setting.

Perhaps you can also add the ability to skip folders which contain a certain file ... maybe a file named something like "Asset-Hunter-SKIP-this-folder", so users can create a file named that in any folders they wish to protect, and AH will skip those folders.

20. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi mwituni

I'm glad you find it usefull.
    I believe you're right that when its updated it overrides your settings. That's obviously not intended so Ill make sure to fix that in an update - Thanks for letting me know.
    I have a file called AssetHunterSettingsData that contains your excluded files/folders but that is apparently overwritten on update. I will take your "Skip-this-folder" suggestion under consideration, but I think I prefer having it centralized in one file so the tool-window is able to list your chosen excludes.

Thanks for your feedback

21. melonhead

melonhead

can you please explain what this asset does that unity does not as i thought that when you build your project unity automatically removes unused assets from the build and only includes the assets used in the game into the build anyway so what is the point of this tool?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  22. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi melonhead

The reason i made Asset Hunter is to remove obsolete assets that are not being used in the game itself. That could be models that are no longer used, materials, sounds etc that was used in prototyping or included in asset bundles from the asset store. It also lists the assets that you ARE using to help you decide which assets are the largest if you are trying to reduce buildsize

23. ShadowLiu

ShadowLiu

Why i can't get analysis results?
    I have been built my project. And the "refresh" button is yellow too.After click the button, there is no logs , the button is turn to red.

Attached Files:

24. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

My best bet would be that some kind of error is occurring. Is there any info in the console?

25. ShadowLiu

ShadowLiu

Thanks,I found the problem and fixed it.

26. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Good to hear, thanks for letting me know

27. wwenthin

wwenthin

What did you find? I'm having the same type of problem. I want this to work since I've been very bad at keeping my assets tight.

28. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

wwenthin, My guess is he ran into some build errors, which probably failed his build (which means Asset Hunter cant run)
    Check your log and see if there were any errors when building

29. wwenthin

wwenthin

No errors. I can build and deploy on android (the only build I'm working with). I get a ton of warnings and the majority of those are in some of the assets I have purchased. Deprecation warnings and the like. It almost looks as if my log isn't rebuilding every time and just appending. I'll take another run through the log and see if there is anything in there that looks wrong.

30. ShadowLiu

ShadowLiu

Like KristianHJ said, I got an complie error. Asset Hunter is working after fixed error。

31. ShadowLiu

ShadowLiu

What the version of Unity you use?Maybe you need updating to 5.4.

32. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

The only thing I could possibly think of then is, that one of the other assets you purchased are modifying the build log (Which asset hunter analyzes to get the needed info)

Perhaps you could send me your log at contact@heurekagames.com

Also could you tell me exactly what goes wrong? What steps are you taking?
    Is it "main" button yellow or red? What happens when you click it? nothing?

Stuff like this could help me figuring out what your problem is

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  33. wwenthin

wwenthin

I'll send you a log. The button turns yellow and then immediately red after I press it. I've borked up my project pretty good at this point by removing crucial assets trying to find out what I think is the problem. Once I have it back I'll do another compile and send you the log. I'm pretty sure I know what caused it but I don't want to point fingers at this point.

34. wwenthin

wwenthin

Email with Log set.

35. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi wwenthin

Thanks for the mail. I've looked through the log and it does indeed (as you also suspect) seem to be caused by another asset store plugin that is modifying the state of your project when you build.

I’m sorry to say that if that is indeed the case, Asset Hunter is out of luck, because it’s totally reliant on the build log, and if that doesn’t reflect the current state of the project, then Asset Hunter will probably fail.

36. wwenthin

wwenthin

Thanks for looking at it. It really looked odd to me and that is pretty much what I do at my $dayjob/$. Like I said in th email that's my fault and I'm sure that I'll use you asset in other projects. I look forward to the updates and what kind of functionality you add. It sounds like you are really trying to make this a great asset.

37. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

FYI Asset Hunter 2.0 is currently awaiting submission review at the asset store.
    Version 2 have quite a few new features added but will also entail a price increase, so get it while its still (too) cheap :)

Preview of release notes:

-Improvements to UI

-New feature: All deleted assets can now be automatically backed up in an unitypackage

-New feature: Added manual "Delete empty folders" functionality

-New feature: Added direct link to build settings

-New feature: Asset Hunter settings now allows to exclude assets by path substring

-New feature: Asset "AssetHunterSceneOverview" which allows you to locate enabled/disabled and unreferenced scenes

-New feature: All used asset have their filesize listed

-New feature: All folders with used asset have their local and total filesize listed

-Made sure a new settings file is generated if none exist

-Added window pane titlecontent

-Improved base empty folder deletion to ignore the following filetypes:
    ".meta"
    "thumbs.db"
    ".orig"
    ".ds_store"
    ".workspace.mel"
    ".mayaswatches"​

38. Erebar

Erebar

Hello, how can I know which plugin is modifying the build log? I'm having the same problem as wwenthin. Building on android and cant refresh the build log.

39. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Erebar

First of all, sorry for the slow reply (Vacation time)

wwenthin problems came from using "Mad Level runtime optimizer" which is apparently not compatible with Asset Hunter

40. Erebar

Erebar

No problem, although I'm not using that plugin. Guess Ill use your plugin for my next project, worked wonders last time I used it. Thanks for your concern.

41. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Feel free to PM me with a list of the plugins you are using.

42. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Erebar

I had a revelation regarding your problem. Apparently I was doing some case sensitive string comparison which means that if you have manually created your "asset" folder with a lower case "a" my tool would fail. That has been fixed in 2.1.2.
    This might be the problem you have encountered.

43. fhickman

fhickman

Hi KristianHJ,

Thanks for the good work on AssetHunter.

Today, I went to update the package to version 2.1.2, but the link in the Unity Asset Store seems to be installing 1.3.6. Any idea where the 2.1.2 package is available at?

Thanks!

44. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi fhickman

That sounds pretty strange, not sure I know what could cause that. Unity deals with sales and the storefront, so my best bet would be to ask them.

I have one idea though, are you using a unity version older than 4.6.3?

45. fhickman

fhickman

Thanks for the reply. We're actually using Unity 5.4.0p1.

I'll try to ask the Unity folks for info, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a reply. :)

46. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

I have the same unity version installed, and when downloading Asset Hunter through the in-engine asset store window, i get 2.1.2 installed.

47. fhickman

fhickman

Very odd... when I use the in-engine Asset Store window, it installs 1.3.6. :$

Well, it doesn't seem like it's your issue... thanks for the info!

48. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Sorry I couldn't be of any help

49. Anubis75

Anubis75

Hello,

i have a world made with World Builder, i Build it in Unity, and removed all items with Asset Hunter, after rebuild and start of the exe, :
    There should be '<Filename>'
    folder next to the executable

Whats happens?
    Regards
    Mike

50. KristianHJ

KristianHJ

Hi Mike

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure I understand the issue. Are you saying Asset hunter deleted your build?