Search Unity

Asset exports fine from Max, implodes when exported from Maya

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by DeadSeraph, Jun 11, 2019.

  1. DeadSeraph

    DeadSeraph

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2017
    Posts:
    17
    Hello.

    I'm currently running into a problem that is driving me insane. I have a semi-rigged model that I need to export into unity. I am not the author of the original asset, so the reason I say it is semi-rigged is that it has a skeleton, but no control surfaces or manipulators and constraints (it seems as if the skeleton was generated using something like mixamo).

    I am much more comfortable in maya than I am in max, so I'd like to get this sorted out. Here's the problem:

    When I import the file into max (it's in FBX), it exports fine with the default options, and shows up just fine in unity. When I do the same in Maya, the character shows up but is pretty much imploded. I've tried using the exact same export settings, however there are a couple that max has that maya doesn't. Specifically:

    -Turbosmooth (I'm assuming this is the same as smooth mesh in maya, so I have it on)

    -Convert deforming dummies to bones (maya doesn't have this option, so I turned on "convert to null objects" with no luck?)

    -Preserve edge orientation (doesn't seem to be a similar setting in Maya?)

    I have all the other settings the same (including the FBX type / year).

    Can anyone recommend FBX export settings for maya that are identical to max? I'm not the original author of the asset so I'm not entirely sure why it's blowing up on me.

    I suspect part of the problem might be FBX *import* settings as well, so any settings there that anyone could recommend would also be helpful.

    I'd REALLY like to keep working in Maya, as it's a matter of productivity and efficiency for me. Thanks for your time.
     
  2. JohnnyFactor

    JohnnyFactor

    Joined:
    May 18, 2018
    Posts:
    144
    You didn't clarify what you mean by "imploded". A screenshot would be helpful. I'm assuming you mean the geometry is messed up, in which case it sounds like the vertex index has been rearranged. Take a look at this link or try running it through Blender and see what the results are. I've used Blender in the past to sort out conversion issues.

    You can also try to import into Max then export as FBX. Import the converted file into Maya.