Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Encryption?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jdebroy, Dec 16, 2009.

1. jdebroy

jdebroy

Of course nobody would want to give away all media, source code, and well, the hard worked assets.

I have examined my compiled unity project folders and do not see any "grab me" assets and media. But there are assets packages and others.
    Has Unity some sort of media encryption or are those packages usable by others? What about the source code?

How are assets protected?

I know that using packers like molebox make the hackers work very hard, but those programs do not apply to other platforms than windows.
    In fact, have not heard of any for the Mac.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

images and sounds are easy to just grab from the data streams that are sent to gpu / sound. they are well enough protected actually.
    the model data are in a unity own format, so even if you got them out somehow, they would be out of your reach.

scripts dont exist at all after building, the code is compiled to .net assemblies.
    these can be reverse engineered unless you protect them.

molebox solution would be one possibility to protect that part, obfuscation potentially another one

3. jdebroy

jdebroy

Thanks Dreamora. I know that for "pro" hackers there is almost none hidden, but if for the average IT guy is hard enough, that is ok for me.