Search Unity

Question Asset download failure - 'The requested URL returned error: 401 Unauthorized'

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tomlinsky, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Tomlinsky

Tomlinsky

New to Unity, but not dev, and been up and running for a couple of days. Easing into things with the Kart demo and have two (free unlocked) assets ready for download in the Package Manager. The Asset Store confirms they are gratis and load into Asset Manager no problem... BUT... will not download and a '401 Unauthorised error' is all that happens no matter what I try. I've fiddled with router/firewalls/ports/etc. You name it. No dice.

After going round in circles for the best part of a day on finding the Package Manager Diagnostics batch-file it reports a completely clean bill of health! The report is below and assume the authorization for them is failing.

I could just leave it and move on but fundamental things not working isn't something I'm comfortable with leaving unresolved before shelling out for assets and headaches later on. Other than that, and a few usual head-scratchers while finding my feet, Unity has been great so far. How do I go about fixing this? Any help appreciated.

Update: I'm not sure if someone at HQ read this and fixed something behind the scenes but they magically downloaded today! If that is the case then thank you, appreciated. If not I haven't a clue what changed between yesterday and today. But then that is the voodoo of development. Stay safe guys. :)

Package Manager Diagnostics Report...

6 out of 6 checks passed:
    [
    {
    "name": "UPM registry reachable",
    "description": "Make an HTTP request to the UPM package registry",
    "result": "PASS",
    "detail": "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\nX-Powered-By: Express\nProvider: Genesis\nDate: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 04:19:55 GMT\nConnection: close"
    },
    {
    "name": "Ping UPM registry",
    "description": "Measure the latency of the UPM package registry API",
    "detail": "6 pings made in 5.372 seconds\nAverage latency: 50.69 ms\nMinimum latency: 47.16 ms\nMaximum latency: 57.21 ms\nStandard deviation: 3.93"
    },
    {
    "name": "Ping UPM download",
    "description": "Measure the latency of the UPM package download endpoint",
    "detail": "5 pings made in 5.847 seconds\nAverage latency: 52.62 ms\nMinimum latency: 45.47 ms\nMaximum latency: 58.33 ms\nStandard deviation: 5.56"
    },
    {
    "name": "UPM registry download speed",
    "description": "Test the Internet connection using the UPM package registry",
    "detail": "Measured speed to the UPM registry: 5.54 Megabits per second"
    },
    {
    "name": "Speedtest.net",
    "description": "Test the Internet connection using Speedtest.net",
    "detail": "Measured speed to the Speedtest.net server: 4.86 Megabits per second"
    },
    {
    "name": "HTTP proxy environment variables",
    "description": "Detect whether proxy-related environment variables are set (HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, ALL_PROXY, NO_PROXY, UNITY_PROXYSERVER, UNITY_NOPROXY)",
    "detail": "No proxy support has been configured through environment variables."
    }
    ]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    eevinley, Indiomar and quickgamedev like this.
  2. orsm

orsm

Hi i had the same problem
    - Enter: window - Asset Store
    - Search for a box-icon that has your assets
    - Find your asset
    - Download it
    - It will ask you to accept the terms and conditions
    - Done xD​

3. oliviac12

oliviac12

I'm having the same error with the roadster kart asset... whenever I click download the 401 unauthorized error pops up. How do I fix it?

jdmccormack1997 likes this.
  4. Tomlinsky

Tomlinsky

The problem corrected itself when I fired up Unity the next day.

5. quickgamedev

quickgamedev

Worked like a charm, thanks!

6. dblsteel

dblsteel

Do what orsm did and it'll fix it. I think its got to with the tutorial promps that haven't been finished or click on.

7. jcloesch

jcloesch

I had the same issue, and just now managed to resolve it. It seems the problem is either the way the link from the store page works from a standard browser, or the package manager needs updated to handle the authorization correctly. The only way it works is to use the Asset Store browser within the Unity Editor.
    1. Open the Unity Editor
    2. Locate the Asset Store tab (should be next to the Scene and Game tabs)
      • If the Asset Store tab is not open, go to Window -> Asset Store in the menu
    3. Open "My Assets"
      • There's a button at the top of the browser tab
      • There's a button next to the "Search for assets" box
      • If you click the icon with your initial at the very right, there's a "My Assets" link there as well
    4. Click Download, Accept, then Import

8. unity_awahab_diawar

unity_awahab_diawar

Here's how I solved it.

1. Go go Asset Store inside Unity Editor.
    2. Click on you profile icon/avatar.
    3. Click "My Assets".
    4. Click Download and click Import when download finishes.

ghillieguy likes this.
  9. nellabanana

nellabanana

Hey ! I have the same issue.
    When I click on " My asset" it says "You currently have no assets. Check out Unity’s tutorial kit below to get started!"
    When I search for it, there s still the price, it doesn"t behave like I bought it . I can't find it downloadable in the Asset Store, it's on my Package Manager but the error keeps coming, even though I restarted it.
    Any idea how to fix it ? Any tips is welcome :) Capture.JPG

10. LylePreloaded

LylePreloaded

If anyone is having this problem in Unity 2020 (I'm specifically on version 2020.1.3), I resolved this by going through the instructions from orsm above in this thread using an older version of the Editor where the Asset Store panel was still the main way of importing purchased assets, eg: I used Unity 2018.2.6 because that is what I already had installed. The problem appears to be not being able to accept the Asset Store Terms of Service via Package Manager.

ghillieguy and RLees like this.
  11. kengi_ikazuchi

kengi_ikazuchi

LylePreloaded's suggestion worked for me.

12. amarnaman

amarnaman

The above solution from Kengi does seem to work but I am worried for my students if they are only able to use the 2020.x version in our labs that they will be stuck not being able to download assets from their accounts on the Asset Store.

13. unity_PuPvXg_3J_yqlw

unity_PuPvXg_3J_yqlw

it work for me THX so much, but...
    for anyone use newest version you should to back old version
    Ex. me use 2020.1.6f1 but the menu/ui is new
    so I'm download 2019.4.8f1 and follow this way. and Done!!

eevinley likes this.
  14. rodolfodude

rodolfodude

make sure your account is connected and active.
    Make sure it's the correct account.
    Sometimes we change accounts and forget to return the active and licensed account.
    Go to the unity hub at the top right to see which account is connected, it has an account activate button.

15. leyoswaldo

leyoswaldo

It worked, thank you!

eevinley likes this.
  16. eevinley

eevinley

It worked to me too, thanks!!

17. leodavi3d

leodavi3d

Worked fine! Thx!

18. lonnonf

lonnonf

Sad to report that this still isn't fixed as of Unity 2020.2.0f1. Because the latest version of the editor does not have an embedded web view, there is never a prompt to agree to the terms of service, so it still reports a 401 Unauthorized error for any attempt to download an asset via the Package Manager window.

I installed Unity 2018.4.30f1, and followed the instructions LylePreloaded provides above (download from the in-editor Asset Store). After agreeing to the terms of service there, I can now download assets in Unity 2020.2.0f1.

The problem still needs to be addressed. This thread is the only place I've found that has a solution, and that solution won't work forever; presumably, the 2018 version won't be around once it's no longer supported.

frostferret and thomas4d like this.
  19. theo01philou

theo01philou

This is unbelievable from Unity. An they tell me that they would open a ticket so that their engineers can see. Are they serious? I paid for assets and I cannot download them. will try the fix with the older version but Unity devs are you serious?

thomas4d likes this.
  20. thesleeper

thesleeper

2020.2.4f1 is still having this issue. Unity Devs FYIP.

thomas4d likes this.
  21. nixarn_

nixarn_

Thanks for the help! Has the exact same issue, had to download an old 2019 version to get the eula popup... works now o_O

thomas4d likes this.
  22. thomas4d

thomas4d

still happening in 2020 only way i got my assets was to download them in a earlier version 2019 nice how the legal department is talking to the Package manager department.. NOT

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  23. alias007

alias007

Unity. Please fix this. We shouldn't have to install old versions of Unity (which will eventually be removed in the future) just to download purchases.

24. fbarnaud

fbarnaud

Hi ! Having the same issue here, crazy to think they did not find a solution...

25. Bonfyre_

Bonfyre_

Having the same issue in 2020.3.0f1

26. frostferret

frostferret

TheGabDooSan-PRO likes this.
  27. TheGabDooSan-PRO

TheGabDooSan-PRO

Still having this issue with 2020 LTS, after several months...

nixarn_ likes this.
  28. levitywell

levitywell

Same as above. New to Unity but not new to gamedev. It seems ridiculous to download an old version of the software just so I can accept the TOS and complete a tutorial.

29. nickydoesthings_unity

nickydoesthings_unity

This is what worked for me! Somehow I had two Unity accounts...

30. DaReign

DaReign

Problem with downloading from asset store exist in ANY unity version for time to time. But what mostly happen if you try download big files like 2GB then almost every time is problem with downloading interrupts which is 100% unity fault :) Honestly you can handle downloading interuptis in your own software :) ?. One of the suggestion https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/205945705-Why-can-t-I-download-an-Asset- o is to turn off antivirus :) Seriously ? Well with such unity approach I just simply don't buy anything from them :)

31. andrewgrimm

andrewgrimm

This is still not fixed.

32. Stingby12

Stingby12

I hided Bolt in my assets and I can't revover it please send help

33. CommanderShadow177

CommanderShadow177

when i used the 2021 version a while back it worked fine but since i went to the recomended version for the begginer tutorials it wont work now so i think this is just with the 2020 version

34. hoffhoffman

hoffhoffman

Apparently this bug still exists a year later, but your suggestion worked! Thank you!

35. boruentertainment

boruentertainment

Ty :)

36. CODEREDStudio

CODEREDStudio

37. FlodLab

FlodLab

algaib likes this.
  38. nyonge

nyonge

Thank you SO MUCH for identifying this! It's unreal to me that Unity hasn't addressed this. We just lost almost six person-hours of work due to this bug, which should be part of the standard new user process.

At the very least maybe they could just check if the user is unlicensed when they get a 401 error from the package manager, and if so, open up that URL directly....

algaib and Bonfyre_ like this.
  39. hamalou

hamalou