Search Unity

Asset Database v2 import performance

Discussion in 'Asset Database' started by Hyp-X, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Hi,

Testing fast platform switching with 2019.3.0b1
    So far it reimports all our assets (hopefully the switching back will be fast)

What I noticed that during texture importing the CPU usage is most of the time under 15-20%
    This is a Ryzen 5 1600X so 16.6% = 2 fully busy thread

Our project is full of png files, so maybe the png reader is single threaded and that is the bottleneck?
    Does anyone else sees similar behaviour?

2. phanemy

phanemy

I am currently testing my 3dTile importer on 2019.3.0b8, for the same file in 2019.2 i take 3 minutes to import, on 2019.3 i need 20 minutes, so no you'r not the only one who have performance issue with asset database v2

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Seems like you found a regression. If you're able to reproduce this issue, please submit a bug-report as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Bug reports with sample assets that import slower in 2019.3 would be much appreciated.

5. phanemy

phanemy

LeonhardP likes this.
  6. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

Could you try closing all Project windows and then triggering an import. This makes importing in v2 a lot faster for me as the project window handles some events triggered by asset pipeline that redraw everything after each asset.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  7. phanemy

phanemy

"Could you try closing all Project windows and then triggering an import" how can i do this?

8. julian-moschuering

julian-moschuering

Close all 'Project' tabs in the editor and then copy the assets into your Assets folder and go back to Unity to see if they get imported faster now.

V2 is currenlty much slower when importing but with the acceleration server I have the feeling it's faster than before. I suggest installing one locally. Helps alot.