Search Unity

Asset Bundles in StreamingAssets directory can load slower when building the Android App Bundle

Discussion in 'Android' started by JuliusM, Jul 17, 2019.

1. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue which can be tracked here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...more-time-when-the-project-is-built-as-an-aab

The problem is that when the apk is created from the app bundle file, asset bundles can get compressed even though they shouldn't be. The behavior depends on many factors: gradle plugin version, where the asset bundles are placed and in case the apk is created locally instead of the PlayStore, then behavior also depends on the host OS and the bundletool version.

The easiest way to avoid this issue is to place asset bundles directly in the StreamingAssets directory. This way the bundles will not be compressed.

If the asset bundles are placed in a subdirectory of the StreamingAssets directory, then they could get compressed depending on the previously mentioned factors.
    If you must place the asset bundles in a subdirectory, try to use the latest gradle plugin version that is compatible with your Unity version (different Unity versions are compatible with different gradle plugin versions, you can see the compatibility here https://forum.unity.com/threads/gra...current-version-is-4-0-1.499520/#post-3500005 ) and also ignore the asset bundle performance from the local builds, instead upload the app bundle to the GooglePlay and download the apk from there.

We are working on a solution to this issue, but for now it is best to use the previously mentioned workaround.

2. Unity_User_2

Unity_User_2

3. zyc_dc

zyc_dc

My understanding is if I use Gradle Installed with Unity and download the apk from GooglePlay. There will be no problem, right?

4. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

The problem is caused by building the AAB. If you are uploading AAB to Google Play store, then you can run into this issue. If you are uploading APK, then this issue will not happen.

5. zyc_dc

zyc_dc

So, if I use AAB, there's still a chance that I will run into the issue even I use the latest Gradle and upload the app bundle to the GooglePlay and download the apk from there? Another thing confusing me is that I can find the issue got listed in Known Issues in 2019.3.x release notes, but I never saw it in 2019.2.x release notes. The ticket in issue tracker shows that the issue exists in all 2019 versions.

6. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

yes.
    The information in the issue tracker is correct. The issue exists in all 2019 versions.

7. SunLin_L

SunLin_L

Hi,I build an aab though unity gradle project,and I can't load assetbundle from the split apk.I try to modify the streamingassets path,like "jar:file:///data/app/com.XXX.AppBundleTest-MD4GKFGbdvh7C8Ge3CXjKA==/split_asset1.apk!/assets/Assets/Resources/canvas",but not work,it shows " Unable to open archive file",so can you tall me how to load assets from split apk? Thanks