Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset bundles - hosting services/providers

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by KEric, Feb 4, 2021.

1. KEric

KEric

Hi guys and girls,
    I was wondering which of the hosting services are you using as well as what hosting services are the most popular in regards to pricing/quality.
    I'm asking this question because I'm a little bit puzzled as currently I'm trying out GCP Storage for hosting an asset bundle of 5mb. Let's assume hypothetically 1mln downloads which will result in 1.000.000 * 5mb = 5tb!!! of data transfer. I think that's a lot of data and lot of headache as well when it comes to hosting providers. If I'm correct this amount of data, based on https://firebase.google.com/pricing (GCP Storage service) will cost around more than 500$! (116$/1tb).
    Can anyone provide me with more insight on the issue? Has anyone already used successfully a particular service and can share more information in that regards?
    Cheers!

2. matt_vg

matt_vg

Unity Technologies

Have you looked at the Unity Cloud Content Delivery service as an option?

The pricing terms are simple and the service is fully integrated into the Developer Dashboard. It integrates nicely with Addressables or you can use it to host Asset Bundles separately. The service delivers your files via CDN (Akamai), so it's fast and reliable global delivery.

3. KEric

KEric

I took a glimpse at Unity's CCD and from what I understand aforementioned download rate would yield in "After 50GB - Price per GB/USD $0.08" pricing tier. So in my hypothetical scenario the pricing would roughly be around 5000GB * $0.08 = 400$. Is my understanding of the Unity's CCD pricing mechanism correct or is it more involved?

4. matt_vg

matt_vg

Unity Technologies

That estimate is correct. Your hypothetical scenario of 1,000,000 downloads of a 5MB Asset Bundle via CCD would cost $400 USD.

5. KEric

KEric

Thanks for a quick answer. And how does the security layer look like - are the asset bundles available to whole public via urls or is there another mechanism preventing mischievous user from unwanted access? Is it possible for a particular application/game of a given app store uid be only allowed to access those resources?

6. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

The content that is uploaded is effectively public - it can be downloaded through a public URL. We have some upcoming plans to support optionally protecting content behind some kind of authentication mechanism, but that is not something that is currently available.

7. KEric

KEric

So I understand that if somebody decided to act mischievously and would write a script that accessing and downloading assets bundles periodically the fees would incur? Or are there some prevention mechanisms that disallow this sort of behavior? Thanks for the answer.