Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Bundles "Failed to download bundle [bundle name] from [bundle url]: The request timed out."

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by heroichippo1, Aug 5, 2016.

1. heroichippo1

heroichippo1

@Vincent Zhang and other Asset Bundle enthusiasts.

My project is using the latest AssetBundleManager from bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/assetbundledemo)

Before implementing asset bundles in my project, we loaded ScriptableObjects from the Resources folder. I've moved those out of the Resources folder and into asset bundles and tested that the asset bundles work perfectly fine in the editor, pc/osx standalone builds, android builds and iOS builds so long as the iOS device is newer than an iPad 2 (512mb ram).

Our build currently is using too much memory to run reliably on an iPad2, but i'm trying to optimize all our assets (mostly textures since its a 2D game).

Everything seems to load fine until we get to a bundle that is pretty big and has a lot of dependencies and the device is running low on memory ( didReceiveMemoryWarning is being printed out a few times before the request timeout occurs ).

I am doing things like unloading bundles I've loaded after they are loaded and I get the assets I need out of them and I know I have a lot more optimization to do before it will run on an iPad2, but I'm trying to figure out how to stop this request from timing out. I think its coming from the WWW.LoadFromCacheOrDownload call which is part of the unity engine so I can't test things like modifying the timeout period on the request to see if I can handle the memory warnings and free stuff up.

Since the LoadAssetAsync calls in the AssetBundleManager are coroutines I can't wrap them in try catch blocks, so how can I handle the TimeoutException?