Search Unity

Asset Bundles - excessive memory usage compared to Resources

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zenix, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Zenix

Zenix

I've been having a lot of issues trying to get our memory usage down when using asset bundles.

The documentation says that if you load an uncompressed asset bundle, Unity only has to load the header information, and then you can load the assets you need at will.

Various Unity developers have also stated on the forums that the 'Resources' folder simply works as an uncompressed asset bundle.

Going by those two pieces of information, I would expect that if I simply moved all my assets out of resources and put them in a single uncompressed asset bundle, that I would get the same or similar memory usage.

That is not the case. If I load my scene from resources, my runtime memory goes from ~16MB to ~30MB. If I put the same scene in an uncompressed asset bundle and load it, runtime memory goes from ~16MB to ~92MB.

I submitted a bug report (861263), but the response I got from QA just said that the WWW class is expected to use more memory than resources... even though I'm not using the WWW class...

If I could get a response from a developer about why the memory usage doesn't match what the documentation says, or even better if I could get someone to read the bug report, that would be great.