Search Unity

Asset Bundles built with Unity Free

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by User340, Jul 3, 2019.

1. User340

User340

Is it possible to import asset bundles created with unity free into an app built with Unity Plus?

2. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

3. User340

User340

I see, thanks for the info.

4. slumtrimpet

slumtrimpet

I acknowledge that you say you aren't a lawyer, but I'd raise a hypothetical on this in hopes of some authoritative clarity from Unity.

The license states:
    Say someone wrote an application that was 'customizable' in that users could download an asset via the Unity Asset Store that provides basic DLL definitions and allows them to roll asset bundles that were then importable into an independently distributed application that loads and runs said asset bundles. (think Roblocks model... kindof)

The core game has the capability to import asset bundles based on external hosting/server infrastructure but has no real direct development connection to the asset bundle creation process.

I'd ASSUME that in this model the users creating asset bundles wouldn't require Professional license even when the parent company publishing the core application does. I think it would be hard to argue that a user creating an asset bundle in a model like this is using their Unity software "for or on behalf of" the primary application publisher... but I'm also definitely not a lawyer so I really have no idea. (the license is worded creatively in that area and I believe has an extra "or" typo in it)

Is it possible to get any verdict from Unity on this case, please?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

I would ask about this topic directly though the terms@unity3d.com email and ask them to clarify on the published page. To me as an individual (and most definitely not a lawyer), I would expect that clause to mean: "Do I have an explicit contract / work agreement with that company or not" as that is typically the requirement for other similar cases I've run into before when I was doing contract work.

slumtrimpet likes this.