Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Bundle Caching questions:

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by AustynPember, Jan 4, 2019.

1. AustynPember

AustynPember

Hello,

I have been trying to work with and understand the UnityWebRequestAssetBundle.GetAssetBundle for a while. It is not behaving like I expect it to, and was wondering if anyone could help explain some things for me.

I have a .fbx file called CTX-med_1 in my Unity project that I package up and put into Assets/AssetBundles/ folder. I then upload the 4 files to an Azure blob "AssetBundles, AssetBundles.manifest, ctx100, ctx100.manifest" Then I delete the original model in my project before I run it or build it.

Now - here is my code I am using to retrieve the model at runtime and instantiate it: (I edited some part of the URL to be different than what I'm actually using)

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class LoadAssets : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     public GameObject modelParent;
    4.     public GameObject LoadingScreen;
    5.     public Slider loadingSlider;
    6.     private bool isDownload = false;
    7.     public string url = "https://TEST.blob.core.windows.net/testcontainer/ctx100";
    8.     public string bundleName = "CTX_med_1";
    9.     public string ModelHash = "e623581f18222c774e6485ab7b0c3408";
    10.     void Start()
    11.     {
    12.         StartCoroutine(AssetLoad(url, bundleName));
    13.     }
    15.     IEnumerator AssetLoad(string url, string bundleName)
    16.     {
    17.         using (UnityWebRequest request = UnityWebRequestAssetBundle.GetAssetBundle(url, Hash128.Parse(ModelHash), 0))
    18.         {
    19.             Debug.Log("Trying the bundle download");
    20.             isDownload = true;
    22.             StartCoroutine(progress(request));
    24.             yield return request.SendWebRequest();
    25.             isDownload = false;
    27.             if (request.isNetworkError || request.isHttpError)
    28.             {
    29.                 Debug.Log("Error loading");
    30.             }
    31.             else
    32.             {
    33.                 Debug.Log("Bundle downloaded");
    34.                 //save the asset bundle
    35.                 AssetBundle bundle = DownloadHandlerAssetBundle.GetContent(request);
    37.                 //instantiate the prefab
    38.                 GameObject model = bundle.LoadAsset<GameObject>(bundleName);
    39.                 model = Instantiate(model);
    40.                 model.transform.SetParent(modelParent.transform);
    41.                 LoadingScreen.SetActive(false);
    43.             }
    44.         }
    46.         yield return null;
    47.     }
    49.     IEnumerator progress(UnityWebRequest req)
    50.     {
    51.         while (isDownload)
    52.         {
    53.             Debug.Log("Downloading : " + req.downloadProgress * 100 + "%");
    54.             loadingSlider.value = Mathf.Clamp01(req.downloadProgress);
    55.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.1f);
    56.         }
    57.     }
    58. }
    What happens when I run this in both the Editor and when I make a project build, is that it loads the scene, waits a second, says that it is 100% downloaded (I think this means it is already cached since if I run UnityWebRequestAssetBundle.GetAssetBundle without the Hash, it will actually go through the process of downloading it and showing me progress over the course of like 4 seconds.) This tells me that it isn't fetching the model off a server, but is somehow just grabbing it from cache which makes no sense to me.

The next thing I do that is unexpected is that I try to make a new AssetPackage by cloning the model, deleting the old one, and packaging it up thereby getting a new Hash. I use this new Hash in the code (but I do not update the model and model.manifest on the Azure server,) and it STILL works (doesn't even go through a download process) when I make a new build with the different hardcoded hash...

This is unexpected. First, I expect it to download a model when I make a fresh build the first time I run it. Second, I expect that when I change the Hash and make a new build, it fails to fetch the model because I'm using a Hash in the fetch that is not the Hash that is on my Azure blob.

Where is the model being cached? I cant find it on my local disk anywhere.

Thanks for any help!