Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Bundle bigger than original assets

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by P3ndragonLLC, Jul 26, 2021.

1. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

Hello,

I have a folder I'm creating an asset bundle out of and the original content is about 1.5gb and the output bundle is 2.5gb. I only have the one folder/bundle so it's not cross referencing anything else as far as I understand. Many of the textures are 4096, so they should be importing down to 2048 making the bundle smaller than the original I believe.

Any idea what I would look at to see what's causing it?

Thanks!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In many cases an imported texture is bigger on disk than the original image. The reason for it is that the original image is often better/differently compressed, e.g. when saved as PNG file.

Unity converts the image to a GPU friendly format (DXT5, BC7, ASTC, PVRTC, ...) and generates mip-maps during the asset import step. This can cause a significant difference in size. A GPU friendly format often doesn't compress as well as PNG for example.

3. P3ndragonLLC

P3ndragonLLC

That was it! Thanks - I needed to change the max export resolution down to 2048 (they were 4096).

unityunity