Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Assertion failed on expression: 'root1 >= -epsilon || root2 >= -epsilon || root3 >= -epsilon'

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Rowlan, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just had the problem that the console got floodfilled with this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'root1 >= -epsilon || root2 >= -epsilon || root3 >= -epsilon'
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    up to a state where the editor became hardly usable, because the floodfilling of the console slowed the editor down. This happened as soon as I moved the camera in the editor. I tracked the problem down to the blend probes of the game objects. When I set Light Probes to Off on the Mesh Renderer the error was gone. With setting Light Probes to Blend Probes - which is the default - the error was back.

What did I do before? I imported a HDRP project which had light probes in the demo scene, they got automatically baked in. Then I deleted the light probes.

The error happened as soon as a gameobject moved far away from the light probes, e. g. it had position x=10, I moved it to x=1000.

My solution was to Generate Lighting.

Tried in 2018.3.6f1 and 2019.1.0b3, both had the issue.

Only posting this here in case anyone else runs into a similar problem with that nothing saying error message. I've googled and found that error in relation to other things, but not to this.

When double-clicking on the error in the console, the file HDRenderPipeline.cs opened here:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Caution: ExecuteCommandBuffer must be outside of the profiling bracket
    2. renderContext.ExecuteCommandBuffer(cmd);
    Not sure if this helps anyone, but it's better than nothing :)

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks Rowlan. Could you please submit a bug report for this issue as well? Ideally with a minimal reproduction project.

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

Sure. I'll try to reproduce it, will definitely post a bug report.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot. Please post the issue ID here once you do.

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

Done, issue ID is 1131555. When you open the project you should instantly see the error. Then just move around with the camera and it will fill the console.

The uploaded project is 2018.3, you'll need to upgrade yourself to 2019. I'd rather not upload the 2019.1.0b3 version. The upload took 5 hours, you guys really should up the bandwidth, it takes the fun of submitting reports ;) But if it has to be, just say so and I'll do it.

To me it looks like after deleting the reflection probes something remained. Maybe some kind of cache needs to be invalidated. The sphere still points to somewhere, ie see yellow line:

To the left of the line is where the reflection probes were. To the right of the line is the sphere.

error.png

By the way, screen is from 2019, upgraded project. I didn't notice that RenderTextureDesc error in 2018.

What I did:

* create new hdrp project
    * import meadow environment
    * import meadow environment hdrp scene "4.9 HD SRP Meadow Environment Dynamic Nature"
    * switch hdrp to version 4.6.0 in package manager
    * open HD SRP Demo Small
    * Generate Lighting
    * add sphere close to the reflection probes
    * delete the reflection probes
    * when you move the sphere (or even the camera) the console log gets flooded with errors: Assertion failed on expression: 'root1 >= -epsilon || root2 >= -epsilon || root3 >= -epsilon'

Happens in 2018.3.6f1 and 2019.1.0b3.

LeonhardP likes this.
  6. Rowlan

Rowlan

@LeonhardP don't know how it works internally and if you got that info, so just fyi. got info that this issue is a duplicate of issue 999884. someone may close this thread.

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies