Search Unity

Assertion failed: Invalid AABB a

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by laurentlavigne, Apr 29, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

what's that?
    double clicking on the error does nothing
    it's in 2017 LTS

2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

and also
    Assertion failed: Invalid AABB aabb
    Assertion failed: Invalid AABB rkBox

3. StarManta

StarManta

That's the exact error text? Can you post a screenshot?

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

also this
    Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    there are no IsFinite in my code

also
    Assertion failed: Invalid AABB rkBox
    Assertion failed: Invalid AABB aabb

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yes that's the exact text, nothing more in the console when selected :/ and they all come in bunch

6. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

Oh, this one. Unity complains that you have invalid geometries.

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1359216/random-invalid-aabb-inaabb-error.html suggests that it may be caused by feeding invalid data to transforms ("you have a script which divided by zero, then tried to assign NaN as a position to one of your transforms").

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/4marrd/invalid_aabb_a_error/d3u9mgi/ mentions that

> the "Invalid AABB" error can be caused by a number of things, most often it has something to do with objects scale, in your case since the objects scale becomes infinite the engine cannot compute it's AABB, hence the error. So to fix it you must find out why the objects grow infinitely. The problem definitely lies in computing and recomputing the transform variables, probably the localScale gets messed up in the act of parenting the objects. Sorry I can't be of more help, but it can be any number of things causing it...

Sadly I have no really good idea how to fix this family of errors beyond:

1) googling for checking whatever you are using common sources of this problem (cloth component etc)

2) enabling/disabling parts of code (binary search for the win!) until I tracked down what was producing invalid geometries. And flooded this part of code with asserts, so I started to get meaningful errors.

Now it function is made mostly with asserts, but it allowed me to catch all bugs. And new ones will crash on assert rather than on meaningless AABB.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     using UnityEngine.Assertions;
    3. (...)
    5.             Assert.IsTrue(distanceFromLeftRatio >= 0, "unexpected value " + distanceFromLeftRatio + " for distanceFromLeftRatio = " + distanceFromLeft + " / " + leaftRightDiff + " for " + position);
    6.             Assert.IsTrue(distanceFromLeftRatio <= 1, "unexpected value " + distanceFromLeftRatio + " for distanceFromLeftRatio = " + distanceFromLeft + " / " + leaftRightDiff + " for " + position);
    7.             Assert.IsTrue(distanceFromDownRatio >= 0, "unexpected value " + distanceFromDownRatio + " for distanceFromLeftRatio" + position);
    8.             Assert.IsTrue(distanceFromDownRatio <= 1, "unexpected value " + distanceFromDownRatio + " for distanceFromLeftRatio" + position);
    9.             Assert.IsTrue(leaftRightDiff > 0, "difference between left and right expected to be greater than 0, was " + leaftRightDiff + " for " + position);
    10.             Assert.IsTrue(upperLowerDiff > 0, "difference between up and down expected to be greater than 0, was " + upperLowerDiff + " for " + position);
    12. (...)
    14.             Assert.IsTrue(leftLower.x == rightLower.x, "unexpected topology: " + leftLower + " vs " + rightLower + " for source at " + position);
    15.             Assert.IsTrue(leftLower.z == rightLower.z, "unexpected topology: " + leftLower + " vs " + rightLower + " for source at " + position);
    16.             Assert.IsTrue(leftUpper.x == rightUpper.x, "unexpected topology: " + leftUpper + " vs " + rightUpper + " for source at " + position);
    17.             Assert.IsTrue(leftUpper.z == rightUpper.z, "unexpected topology: " + leftUpper + " vs " + rightUpper + " for source at " + position);
    18.             Assert.IsTrue(leftLower.x == leftUpper.x, "unexpected topology: " + leftLower + " vs " + rightLower + " for source at " + position);
    19.             Assert.IsTrue(leftLower.z == leftUpper.z, "unexpected topology: " + leftLower + " vs " + rightLower + " for source at " + position);
    20.             float h = TerrainIndexToHeight(leftLower);
    21.             //Debug.Log(position + " returned " + h + " in exact match produced " + h);
    22.             return h;

laurentlavigne likes this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Object scale - that must be it, I'm sure that my code sets one object to 0

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

or OnGUI scale

upload_2020-4-29_16-14-35.png

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

that's a new one... there were two particle systems, the shuriken ones, one was empty, nuked that one, all is fine and now the game runs at 50hz

10. Zarkend

Zarkend

Hi, I found the problem (at least one causing it).
    I was having these errors
    upload_2020-9-28_22-55-47.png

In my case it was caused for a skinned mesh renderer without valid bounds
    upload_2020-9-28_22-56-30.png

How i found it

In play mode (where i was facing this errors) I selected ALL the gameobjects in the scene and disabled them. At this point there was no errors. Then I enabled some of them till I find the one causing the problem.

Hope it helps to someone!

xjjon likes this.
  11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I wonder if this ^ can happen when scale is set very small

12. alimardanov

alimardanov

This solved my problem. y scale was zero. I changed it to 1.

13. Armend

Armend

I had this problem and what fixed it for me was simply selecting the size of the Gamewindow in the Game Tab. Changed it from "Free Aspect" to "1920x1080 Landscape".

bobadi likes this.
  14. Lord_Legion

Lord_Legion

I had the same problem and it appeared after I implemented a pause in the game. During the pause, I was holding down the button to go forward and that’s why the error occurred. Namely, the error was in the Cs Homebrew IK plugin

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  15. thenoux

thenoux

For me, the error occurred when in a script (due to a typing error) a division by zero (0/0) was generated. I hope it helps you find your solution, greetings.