Search Unity

Assasins Creed free running Mechanic

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gus60, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Gus60

Gus60

So I've been burning up my off ours on Assassins Creed Syndicate I've come to the conclusion that the free running mechanic would be entertaining in rpgs such a skyrim or fallout... I see some obvious pitfalls as far as lvl design to stop someone from skirting important objectives, is the scope of lvl design just to big to implement something like this in a modern day rpg?

mehmetucarx21 likes this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

No, but you have to stop adding features at some point.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think assassins creed is an RPG. Just the light kind. There's quests, cutscenes, minigames, combat, rep grinding... etc :p

Martin_H likes this.
  4. Gus60

Gus60

I understand having to stop adding features but just to play devils advocat other than time and money what caps games today it seams like with the resources you can do anything, as long as you spend the time in beta fixing bugs

5. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Lots of things fit into "entertaining." The real question is whether or not it would improve the experience.

I'm not saying it definitely wouldn't improve the experience, just that you may be approaching it the wrong way.

6. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

I'm going to levy that this is likely a solution without a problem. Consider if you've ever thought you were out of options, but this would have been the thing that could have saved you. It's a lot of complexity to add, with the only benefit being more movement options that games typically have plenty of.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. mehmetucarx21

mehmetucarx21

Thank you bro :)

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Assassin's Creed has the climbing / parkour thing as a fundamental part of its DNA since before it was even called "Assassin's Creed". Elder Scrolls has no more reason to add climbing and parkour than it has to add sports cars or hacking.

It's not just about money, time, and that you eventually need to stop adding features. It's also about knowing what your game is and making that, rather than getting side tracked and making random cool stuff.

Design is about deliberately choosing things which go together to achieve an intended outcome or experience. It's not just adding whatever random cool thing takes your whim today.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  9. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

If one wanted to get bit #technical, the climbing system of Assassin's Creed was based on the parkour - stuff in the ' Prince of Persia ' - series, or at least the company built a basis of the stuff there, or they knew how to make that, also think the first Assassin's Creed was set in Arabia, almost an ' assassin ' clone, of the ' Prince of Persia ' - stuff, that is also among the best ever video - games, etc etc . . .

1. making a large - world climbing system takes effort, or investment
    2. it's difficult to make the stuff good
    3. does it serve the story, or at all experience
    4. hiring coders to do the stuff is sometimes necessary
    5. the RPG genre is almost universally not also a parkour // wall - climbing genre

There's nothing wrong with adding it, it's bit unusual, and not sure rather have RPG - titles be that, or think it might have made Skyrim worse if it was not a hard - core RPG, and no climbing elements, etc etc . . .

It's a good question, it depends on the idea, or story, and it also takes plenty of effort, or hours of work, one has to place the climbing - spots, or add that to also the buildings, and it all takes hours, or extra effort, at least if one wants the stuff to be 100 % custom, most RPG - titles are defined more by story, or the ' quest ' quality, also most of the classes in known RPG's can't climb, ie. the warrior, mage, or cleric, so it might only make sense for the thief // assassin, if that . . .