Search Unity

asmdef questions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sebas77, Mar 27, 2019.

1. sebas77

sebas77

1) can you explain to me what this is and what its purpose is:

upload_2019-3-27_14-16-12.png

2) is there a way to reference a package inside an asmdef in such a way that the package is automatically downloaded?

2. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

So Version Defines is a way for you to handle if a Package/Module is part of the user project or not.
    The Define is what will be set based on the Expression and the Resource. That Define will only be set for that asmdef/assembly
    The Expression is so you can also set defines based on version ranges, fx if you want to handle API differences, bugs or simply only want to support package version > 2.0.0
    The Expression notation is interval notation, the same notation that nuget uses

karl_jones likes this.
  3. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

Also, now asmdef references are soft, so if a package is not in the project, but a asmdef is referencing it, it will not give an error about the missing asmdef but try to compile anyway.
    So in combination, you can have optional dependencies on packages/modules/asmdefs

karl_jones likes this.
  4. sebas77

sebas77

I did this which looks promising

upload_2019-3-29_12-59-28.png

but then I did this and it seems to not work (same asmdef):

upload_2019-3-29_12-59-49.png

karl_jones likes this.
  5. sebas77

sebas77

this worked

upload_2019-3-29_13-2-12.png

;):D

edit: wrong module but it works with the right one too

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  6. Elringus

Elringus

That's a great feature, but I wonder is there are plans to also support custom packages (not only Unity modules and the built-in com.unity.* packages)? @HaraldNielsen

7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It works with any asmdefs, including those in custom packages.

8. Elringus

Elringus

Thanks for the response! Maybe I misunderstand something, but I can't see my custom assembly in the `Version Defines` list, even if it's added to the `Assembly Definition References`. Consider a project, where two custom asmdefs are defined; I want to add one of them as a dependency for another. While both asmdefs are visible in the `Assembly Definition References` list, none of them appear in the `Version Defines`:

9. Elringus

Elringus

Could it be `Version Defines` only work with the new package manager packages, but not with asmdefs directly? It's much less useful then, as in the most cases third party stuff is distributed via .unitypackage archives (actually, I've never seen a single non-Unity package distributed via the package manager). Could we hope for `Version Defines` to support asmdefs directly? @karl_jones @HaraldNielsen

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm not familiar with the drop-down box but you should be able to directly edit the asmdef JSON file to do what you need.

11. Elringus

Elringus

Sure, I can edit it, but it still expects a package name. Any chance it'll also be possible to use an asmdef GUID (or name)? (in the same way as `references` property works)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ah I see. Ill bring it up with the scripting team, looks like something we missed.

Elringus likes this.
  13. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

Version Defines will work with any kind of Package, not only what Unity ships but anything that is done by users as well

karl_jones likes this.
  14. Elringus

Elringus

Yeah, I got that, thanks. The issue is that most of the third-party stuff is distributed out of that packages system, so the defines will be much more useful if they'll support direct asmdef references in addition to the packages; this will also allow more flexible and granular dependency setups.

karl_jones likes this.
  15. jerotas

jerotas

This doesn't work at all.

If I define a Version Defines for Physics 3D, it's there even if Physics 3D is not installed.

upload_2019-7-1_12-46-46.png

Conditional code that is supposed to be able to detect that and compile - simply fails. I believe this is the purpose of this functionality, and it doesn't appear to work at all. I'm trying to use this so that my plugin can compile even if you don't have Physics installed, and you will just lose certain functionality. Please advise. I don't believe there is any other way to accomplish my goal here short of a user adding DEFINE's into their project, which I want to avoid.
    It's also possible that the result of the Version Define isn't getting recalculated and is holding an outdated value. I don't know what triggers that.

upload_2019-7-1_12-47-35.png

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

@karl_jones Since you suggested editing the corresponding ASMDEF JSON, how do you cope with the package version? I checked out com.unity.modules.physics and it's JSON looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "name": "com.unity.modules.physics",
    3.     "version": "1.0.0",
    4.     "type": "module",
    5.     "displayName": "Physics",
    6.     "description": "The Physics module implements 3D physics in Unity. Scripting API: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/UnityEngine.PhysicsModule.html",
    7.     "icon": ".icon.png",
    8.     "dependencies": {
    10.     }
    11. }
    Can we just add the missing fields to the ASMDEF JSON or is not not working that way? How do you define the version of an ASMDEF so you can reference it. I guess the part with HOW you reference it is already covered as you answered @Elringus

17. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

This is a little old but right now these versioning only looks at the packages installed in the project. Not the assemblies reference by the asm def. It would be nice if it was also to work on the definition references.
    upload_2021-2-3_23-14-14.png
    While one version of my libaries in the project may include the TMPro in the asmdef.
    Another project i may not want to enable that feature, even though TMPro is in the project being used by something else.

Or if there were defines created for each reference for example

#define PACKAGE_DID_SINGLETONS
    #define PACkAGE_TMPRO

18. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

So far as I can tell this is still broken, 2+ years later, in 2019 LTS. The *only* way to get VersionDefines to work with anything except Unity's hardcoded stuff and packages is ... to ignore the Inspector and manually edit the text files. It's a shame. The inspector was only half-implemented :(.

jerotas likes this.
  19. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

In 2019 you said:
    It's now 2022, and it's still not true. It's still not documented. It still doesn't work. Confirmed BROKEN in both 2019.LTS and 2020.LTS

Anyone figured out the hacks to workaround this, make it work, yet? STILL NOT IN THE DOCS.

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filed any bug reports?

21. I feel people in this thread have talked above each other's head. BTW, yes, I also would like to see the possibility to set version define referencing another assembly definition instead of a package.

22. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

@karl_jones - An hour or two ago I made a minimal test case and submitted it as a bug report in 2020 LTS.

23. Flavelius

Flavelius

I'd like to see this implemented too

24. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

My bug report(s) were rejected by QA staff who apparently didn't really understand what 'assembly definitions' are, what 'version defines' are, or how to use them. I eventually asked them:

"As I showed in my bug report: accessing asmdefs - which is the ONLY
    WAY Unity allows code to be written on the AssetStore - appears to
    bypass the versiondefines, leading to incorrect results.
    If you have a way for: [I re-described the problem in simple bullet points]
    then please show me how - the project I uploaded shows that this failed. Did I do something wrong? What do I have to do additionally to make it succeed?"

That was 26 days ago with no response.

@karl_jones this is why requests for us to log bugs often aren't received well -- your colleagues keep blocking bug-reports, apparently because of their own lack of training / understanding (like the time where QA rejected a bug report a Unity Engineer had asked me to file and along with the rejection I was told to post on the forums for community help instead).

What is going on? It looks bad - as if QA just close anything on topics that are beyond their experience-level / skill-level.

Also: how do I log a bug in Unity so that it actually gets looked at by a software engineer?

25. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

(I mean - I would LOVE it if I've just been using it wrong all this time, if there was some secret undocumented setting I could use that would simply make this all work. Or if there was some other step I was supposed to be doing but hadn't (and which is missing in the UnityEditor as a warning/error - because right now it just 'fails') -- then I could start using this feature immediately. If that makes me look stupid because it was something I should have known from the start - great! My problem is solved!)

26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you share the bug number so I can look into this?

27. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Thanks! Case 1395717 - and if you look at it and say 'oh, a436t4ataf you fool! you did something stupid / misunderstood this!' then I'll be very happy to hear it :) - I feel I've been back and forth experimenting on this, reading the docs literally 10 times over, emailing and discord chatting with other devs who've tried this and couldn't get through it either.

Also there's possibly multiple issues (I tried filing multiple bug reports to make it clearer, but it ended up seeming like it was only one single underlying issus)

28. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes, I can confirm, it does indeed ignore asmdefs that are not part of a package, I can see the code that is doing this. I have brought it up with the scripting team and will speak to QA to update the bug.

Michael-Ryan and a436t4ataf like this.
  29. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

After speaking to the scripting team I can see why this is not supported.

A version define, by its very name is a definition based on the version of the asmdefs. This version is extracted from the asmdefs package json file. This means we can evaluate the expression before compilation.
    Obviously, if the asmdef is in a project then it won't have a version so a version define would have no way to evaluate the expression.

This leaves us with 2 potential options

1. Just treat the version define as a binary on/off and ignore the expression for project asmdefs. This seems to be the expectation of some of the above responses. If you leave the expression blank then it will enable the define if the asmdef is in the project. This sounds ok at first however when you consider that this is so you can support other AssetStore products then it starts to break down. AssetStore products will have to change API over their versions. Having developed a package myself, we already have multiple version defines based on different versions of packages, so to have a binary on/off based just on the asmdef would be a very brittle solution. We dont consider it suitable.
    2. Use the asmdefs AssemblyVersion as the version. To extract that we would need to compile the assembly first, inspect the assembly version, and then calculate the Version Define. And then continue compiling. This is not a simple change.
    For these reasons, we have no plans to support this at the moment.
    My understanding is you want this feature so you can work with the AssetStore? I'm not familiar with the AssetStore rules, they do not allow packages?

30. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

This is the shocking problem: Unity's AssetStore has explicitly blocked Packages since they were introduced, and officially still has zero plans to allow them. So whiel the Unity PackageManager team(s) spent the same period refusing to provide features or fixes to core functionality "because you can create local Pacakges / use asmdefs / use VersionDefines", we are left with no way forwards.

31. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Until/unless the scripting team is willing to talk to their colleagues in the AssetStore and/or PackageManager teams and force them to change policy ... that isn't an acceptable solution.

This would be massively better than "nothing" - which is all Unity allows us to use today (I say "allows" because we have - as far as I'm aware - no APIs to control any of the linking/building behaviour here, so there's literally nothing anyone who is not a Unity employee can do about any of this).

That is the least of our worries right now. Right now everyone is doing MUCH WORSE hacks because Unity is blocking this. Yes, actual version handling would be far better. But at least a binary on/off would allow great improvement for everyone.

Additionally: I suspect (would love input on this) this would enable us to self-fix a lot of other bugs in Unity's current build/link system, e.g. multiple problems with DLLs that Unity so far keeps refusing to fix or even consider -- if we could wrap DLLs in asmdefs (which we can sort-of do today), and had this 'merely binary on/off' linking feature, we could intelligently enable/disable which DLL's are linked. The current actually in use by publishers solution to that is - literally "write a binary that runs outside of Unity's core and pre-renames DLLs out from under Unity, live, and at import time run similar scripts that mess with the file-system, renaming DLLs to ".not-a-dll", and back to ".dll" to do all the things Unity should be doing but isn't, and eventually leaves the Editor with only one DLL that's linkable".

That's ... horrific. And it only happens because Unity's blocked everyone from doing any kind of selection of DLL's/asmdef linking apart from the "One Weird Exception" that is "you can have two DLLs with the same name if and only if one is marked Editor only, and the other is marked not-Editor" (NB: that trick *only* works for Editor/non-Editor, no other pairing seems to work - suggesting it's been special-cased somewhere).

forestrf likes this.
  32. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

The performance team at Unity has already done some pretty neat (and massively useful) work in this area that ... might already have solved this problem?

I only started using it recently, but the TypeCache stuff gathers a lot of metadata (currently: type names, types, type-inheritances, custom attributes, ... ) early in the process and then caches it, specifically because this kind of metadata request is needed throughout the Editor (by Unity, as well as by developers and publishers) but is slow to generate and - by definition - cannot change except during Assemlbly reload.

... I don't know exactly where in the rebuild that gets generated, but my understanding it was super-early. Maybe (maybe!) early enough that it could be used for this too? AssemblyVersion is - if I remember correctly - nothing more or less than a CustomAttribute within C#?

33. HaraldNielsen

HaraldNielsen

Unity Technologies

You cant use the TypeCache, as that works on the domain. And the TypeCache is also the Scripting teams responsibility :)
    Its not because we dont see the value in such a feature, but as how things are now its not a priority.
    When we move to MSBuild and csproj's, instead of asmdef's, you would be able to do add fx. defines based on other things, its much more flexible in the sense as you are much more in charge of how assemblies are compiled in Unity

karl_jones likes this.
  34. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

So, the TL;DR as I understand it is:

1. DLLs in Unity are broken for most (all?) non-trivial examples; you cannot (for instance) support even Unity's own Input System today in an Asset (because it requires compile-time #if's and Unity provides no way for anyone to have multiple DLL's, except for Unity's own internal 'magic' for Editor DLL's).
    2. AssetStore Bundles require proprietary hacks by ... everyone ... because Unity added this feature on the payment side, but has not added anything that would allow anyone to use it on the compile/build side.
    3. Cross-Asset references between diferent authors (extremely common on the asset-store today) are liable to break without notice, require proprietary hacks, and there's no safe way around it.
    4. Nothing's going to get fixed for another few years, until a whole new build system is created. Since asset-store publishers have to wait 3 years before we can use new features, that means we're looking at 'this will all be broken until 2028 at earliest'.
    ?

It doesn't seem like an acceptable outcome -- it materially damages asset-store development, and is one of the few reamining reasons people object to using asmdefs ("it messes up assets"). This just seems like a really poor choice.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  35. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Sure -- a long term fix is also necessary, and switching to a more standards-compliant usage of MSBuild stuff seems like a no-brainer in the long-run.

But these aren't new features - asmdefs were introduced going on 4-5 years ago, and they still don't work for anything except a narrow slice of the common/widespread use-cases.

Asset store publishers seem to be trapepd between two parts of Unity that refuse to synch their roadmaps - PackageManager and Asmdefs/builds.

Even if we ignore/sideline publishers (and pretend Unity doesn't care about the AssetStore), this can't be great for large projects either. From my informal chats with larger studios -- they too hate this, it's like asmdefs were a nice idea half-implemented and then discarded, they don't actually make things better for us on real projects :(.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    timmehhhhhhh likes this.
  36. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I brought the issue up with the asset store team and they say they are currently working on a solution that should satisfy some of these needs this year. They said they would be finalizing and announcing to publishers in a few weeks on the asset store publisher forums. It sounds to me like these issues stem from the restrictions on the asset store which we should be trying to address rather than creating systems to get around these limitations.

a436t4ataf likes this.
  37. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Thanks, I look forward to that!

Although I must say: Three years ago it would have made sense for this to be fixed at the asset-store. It's stunning that the PackageManager was launched without planning any of this, and that asmdefs were first beta-tested and then made production/live -- again without apparently anyone asking 'will it actually work on Unity's own asset store?' :(.

But fast-forward to today and I feel the situation is different, the problems have got bigger. Now we have a bunch of problems both on the asset store AND in projects, all of which would be solved by what seems - as an outsider - to be a very small number of features, specifically: obvious missing functionality in asmdefs.

38. stevphie123

stevphie123

2023.. and here we are, still empty handed

39. forestrf

forestrf

So an asmdef outside of the packages doesn't have a version as there's no json specifying it, plus being this asmdef from another package from the asset store, it may not be configured in any way to have a version.

Could you then just assume the version it has is 0.0.0? That way we can make an expression that checks against that and treat it as an on-off switch for asset store package interoperability. If in the future the package has a version (somehow, after implementing a feature that allows specifying versions on asmdefs or something), it won't be 0.0.0, it will be higher and distinct.

40. _geo__

_geo__

Still disappointing that there is no official solution.

I have resolved to adding script defines upon compilation. Like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. using System;
    4. using UnityEditor;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    7. namespace YourNameSpace
    8. {
    9.     public static class AssemblyDefinitionDetector
    10.     {
    11.         public static void DetectAndUpdateDefine(string assemblyName, string define)
    12.         {
    13.             // Check if the asmdef file exists (if not then the asset has been removed).
    14.             // We do NOT use reflections on the assemblies here because even if the asset files
    15.             // have been removed the assemblies are still loaded and this would give a false positive result.
    16.             bool found = false;
    17.             // Nasty string search. n2h: use regexp.
    18.             string defineNameJsonString0 = "\"name\": \"" + assemblyName + "\"";
    19.             string defineNameJsonString1 = "\"name\":\"" + assemblyName + "\"";
    20.             var defines = AssetDatabase.FindAssets("t:AssemblyDefinitionAsset");
    21.             foreach (var defGUID in defines)
    22.             {
    23.                 var path = AssetDatabase.GUIDToAssetPath(defGUID);
    24.                 var asset = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<TextAsset>(path);
    25.                 var text = asset.text.Substring(0, 100); // only search in the beginning of the text.
    26.                 if (   text.Contains(defineNameJsonString0)
    27.                     || text.Contains(defineNameJsonString1))
    28.                 {
    29.                     found = true;
    30.                     break;
    31.                 }
    32.             }
    34.             // Add or remove defines.
    35.             if (found)
    36.             {
    37.                 // InControl is installed
    38.                 addDefineSymbol(define);
    39.             }
    40.             else
    41.             {
    42.                 removeDefineSymbol(define);
    43.             }
    44.         }
    46.         private static bool addDefineSymbol(string defineName)
    47.         {
    48.             bool didChange = false;
    50.             foreach (BuildTargetGroup targetGroup in System.Enum.GetValues(typeof(BuildTargetGroup)))
    51.             {
    52.                 if (isObsolete(targetGroup))
    53.                     continue;
    55. #pragma warning disable CS0618 // Type or member is obsolete
    56.                 if (targetGroup == BuildTargetGroup.Unknown || targetGroup == BuildTargetGroup.GameCoreScarlett)
    57.                     continue;
    58. #pragma warning restore CS0618 // Type or member is obsolete
    61. #if UNITY_2023_1_OR_NEWER
    62.                 string currentDefineSymbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbols(NamedBuildTarget.FromBuildTargetGroup(targetGroup));
    63. #else
    64.                 string currentDefineSymbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(targetGroup);
    65. #endif
    67.                 if (currentDefineSymbols.Contains(defineName))
    68.                     continue;
    70. #if UNITY_2023_1_OR_NEWER
    71.                 PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbols(NamedBuildTarget.FromBuildTargetGroup(targetGroup), currentDefineSymbols + ";" + Define);
    72. #else
    73.                 PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(targetGroup, currentDefineSymbols + ";" + defineName);
    74. #endif
    75.                 Debug.Log($"{defineName} symbol has been added for {targetGroup}.");
    77.                 didChange = true;
    78.         }
    80.             return didChange;
    81.         }
    83.         private static void removeDefineSymbol(string defineName)
    84.         {
    85.             foreach (BuildTargetGroup targetGroup in System.Enum.GetValues(typeof(BuildTargetGroup)))
    86.             {
    87.                 if (isObsolete(targetGroup))
    88.                     continue;
    90. #pragma warning disable CS0618 // Type or member is obsolete
    91.                 if (targetGroup == BuildTargetGroup.Unknown || targetGroup == BuildTargetGroup.GameCoreScarlett)
    92.                     continue;
    93. #pragma warning restore CS0618 // Type or member is obsolete
    95. #if UNITY_2023_1_OR_NEWER
    96.                 string currentDefineSymbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbols(NamedBuildTarget.FromBuildTargetGroup(targetGroup));
    97. #else
    98.                 string currentDefineSymbols = PlayerSettings.GetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(targetGroup);
    99. #endif
    101.                 if (currentDefineSymbols.Contains(defineName))
    102.                 {
    103.                     currentDefineSymbols = currentDefineSymbols.Replace(";" + defineName, "");
    104. #if UNITY_2023_1_OR_NEWER
    105.                     PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbols(NamedBuildTarget.FromBuildTargetGroup(targetGroup), currentDefineSymbols);
    106. #else
    107.                     PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(targetGroup, currentDefineSymbols);
    108. #endif
    109.                     Debug.Log($"{defineName} symbol has been removed for {targetGroup}.");
    110.                 }
    111.             }
    112.         }
    114.         private static bool isObsolete(Enum value)
    115.         {
    116.             var fi = value.GetType().GetField(value.ToString());
    117.             var attributes = (ObsoleteAttribute[]) fi.GetCustomAttributes(typeof(ObsoleteAttribute), inherit: false);
    118.             return (attributes != null && attributes.Length > 0);
    119.         }
    120.     }
    121. }
    122. #endif

Then the code for detecting the InControl asset (which uses asmdef with name "InControl") looks like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2. using System;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using UnityEditor.Compilation;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    7. namespace YourNameSpace
    8. {
    9.     public static class InControlDetector
    10.     {
    11.         [InitializeOnLoadMethod]
    12.         public static void AutoDetectAndUpdateDefine()
    13.         {
    14.             if (!EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode)
    15.             {
    16.                 DetectAndUpdateDefine();
    18.                 CompilationPipeline.compilationFinished -= onCompilationFinished;
    19.                 CompilationPipeline.compilationFinished += onCompilationFinished;
    20.             }
    21.         }
    23.         private static void onCompilationFinished(object obj)
    24.         {
    25.             DetectAndUpdateDefine();
    26.         }
    28.         [MenuItem("Tools/Settings Generator/Debug/Detect InControl", priority = 1101)]
    29.         public static void DetectAndUpdateDefine()
    30.         {
    31.             AssemblyDefinitionDetector.DetectAndUpdateDefine(
    32.               assemblyName: "InControl",
    33.               define: "KAMGAM_INCONTROL");
    34.         }
    35.     }
    36. }
    37. #endif
    It adds the define automatically.
    upload_2024-3-18_14-22-42.png

However, it's not ideal since it does a simple string check in all asmdef assets (which is ugly).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    AlejUb and forestrf like this.