Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asklepieion of Kos. Virtual Archaeology

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Konstantinos, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Web player project preview

http://www.biblis.gr/unity

The main title of the project will be
    " Asklepieion of Kos
    a 4D virtual journey through time and culture
    "

It is a virtual ( and somewhat archaeologically correct) virtual walkthrough inside the remains of the world's first hospital ever. The sanctuary of Asklepios in island of Kos Greece. Asklepios is the ancient greek god of medicine.

There Hippocrates, the father of scientific medicine, lived and taught his students.

With the press of a button ( r ) you travel in the past and see a "reconstruction" of this great monument as it would have been in its days of glory.
    With the button ( t ) you return to the present ...

I was based on the archaeology book "The complete Greek Temples " from Thames Hudson "

This is my first official preview of this project and my first unity project ever. I am still learning the engine.

Production time : 3 weeks

I hope you enjoy it..

i wait for your comments/suggestions.

Konstantinos J. Biblis, TD[/url]

Attached Files:

2. drJones

drJones

looking good so far (nice idea too). there are some collider issues, for instance if you go to the top of the stairs to the left past the david there's an invisible collider blocking your way. same goes directly behind your starting position.

i don't know if it would be too processor hungry, but it would be cool to see the architecture fade in and out when you switch eras (instead of snapping), kinda like you see in history shows.

coincidentally, i see i'm not the only masochist modelling corinthian columns for real time 3D ; )

i haven't gotten to the leaf work yet, i switched back to my first arena today so i can get a player posted. if you don't mind me asking how many polys per cap do you have?

3. Konstantinos

Konstantinos

:) nice to see that im not the only one modelling corinthian columns hehe

the corinthian cap is about 1700polys. I gave it alot of thought, i really could go much higher to get detail, or much lower to get performance ...

the whole scene is 350000 triangles (2000 objects ) so i can't really push more effects due to performance issues... fading out would be nice though

There are no collider issues :)
    Its my invisible colliders in the scene ....

its my fault i don't explain that you cannot walk everywhere on the site.
    You cannot go wherever there is a monument in the past time there.

You cannot walk fron on top of the sanctuary ruins because there is the "ancient" sanctuary hidden there :)

Going back, collision ...well its my invisible colliders, i put them there....
    i guess i must add some museum style restriction rope to designate "forbidden" areas

Thank you for your comments

4. drJones

drJones

ahh i see. i understand why the colliders need to stay when in modern mode, but i'd definitly do what you suggested, rope barriers or such, so its more realistic.

one other thing i noticed, on the arches to the left of the staircase where your bricks are beveled, it looks like unity is trying to smooth them (with that dark diagonal line across the front face). i'd try going into the import settings for that mesh reduce the smoothing angle to just below 45 to see if it looks better. it shouldn't affect the curve of the arch below if its the same mesh.

5. Konstantinos

Konstantinos

i didn't know i could do this! thank you.

yes its single mesh .. i will try this out.

and i definately must figure something out to ease out the "collider" experience in the scene....

6. AaronC

AaronC

Niiiice!

I like the tops of the pillars (red and white level) and the present day scene...ruins...

Id play an fps in the ruins one 8) for sure...
    Comments
    the tiling on the stairs is a bit dense? And verging on same at ruins bricks lower level?

The textures for the white and red version are coming across a bit garish for me. A bit full on-Unity can deliver real nice textures, and I reckon if you going to really make this look good, you need to make the red and white levels nicer through the use of shaders, and pixel lighting. The baking is cool-Im going to learn more about baking myself,..

I really like the sprite tree, and the feel of the trees and older ruins...

And lastly the particles coming out of the aqueduct were square (Intentionally perhaps?)....

Gettin the extra bumpmap/detail will make this really really nice. Maybe theres performance issues with cranking this up visually. My card should be working well for this, so It must be the shaders...

Absolutely good though
    AC
    :wink:

7. Konstantinos

Konstantinos

crossed my mind too ;)

:D

you are absolutely right about your texture comments. my only "excuse" is that this is planned for web-delivery only. It will not come out as executable for mac/win.... so i tried to keep textures to minimal, hence low res and tiling ....

Because i cannot trust how this will look at other people's web browsers i try to be generic and avoid texture effects

file size is also very important factor for me. right now i am at about 6 megs for this whole project. not very big but still big "webwize"....

no we do not have "square" water particles in greece :) definately i missed this out. must fix he he he

thanks again, i appreciate all comments ...

commments and suggestions get everyone to be better :)

8. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

2000 objects are a bit much. You'll see a performance increase if you join the meshes.

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

2000 objects should choke my computer down into submission. Your demo plays alright though. When I warp back in time the framerate certainly slows though... if you haven't combined all those "David" statues I would certainly do that... just combine every piece of geometry that shares the same material.

The tree billboards certainly work well. The only criticism I have is what Targos already pointed out, lessen the frequency on some of the tiling, they're way too much.

Cool premise though, I like the idea of warping to other points in time.

10. Konstantinos

Konstantinos

thanks everyone,

most models already combined, its on progress..

my mesh counting comes from unity custom editor plugin that gives you the vertex/triangles count. But the "mesh combine" is happening on execution, so how can someone know how many "combined" meshes are actually on the scene ?

All your advice and comments make my "to-do" list grow longer and longer.... :)

so many "bugs" that lie before my very eyes
    but i can't detect them because i work on this same scene for the last .... infinite hours...

11. AaronC

AaronC

Correct me if Im wrong Unity Old Salty Sea dogs, but the mesh combine utility will only work on meshes withthe same material (in example 12+ bits of terrain mesh all sharing grass material)

What Nicholas is on about is combining the meshes in your art program...Right Nick?

With shaders-Most "fall back" to a diffuse, so you CAN have bling bling shaders for us with swanky graphics cards, and they will still work with non pixel shading cards...

Right guys?

I love that ruins level, and the whole concept
    AC

12. ddurieux

ddurieux

Hi I am new to this and I am looking for some code to go up a stair very smoothly. can any one point me to a tutorial or something like it.
    Thank you

13. User340

User340

14. AaronC

AaronC

What I do is have a visual stair , and an invisible sloped ramp on top of it for the collision part. Works well, I will do this always.
    AC

15. ddurieux

ddurieux

Thank you guys this helps a lot. I have my guy going up and down the stairs now. :)