Search Unity

As used in Unit 5.3 GGX ?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by shubniggurath, Dec 22, 2015.

1. shubniggurath

shubniggurath

hello, I have little time using Unity3D, but I wonder how I can use GGX in vercion 5.3 of unity.
    I wonder if there are any examples of how to use this new vercion GGX of unity.
    Thank you for your attention.
    PS: I'm still waiting for the example Allegorithmic Substance show someday :(.

2. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

All lighting using the builtin lights should use GGX by default in 5.3. It only works for shader model 3.0 and higher though.

3. Lex4art

Lex4art

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah, Standard shader in 5.3 uses GGX now by default. Frankly, it had some fixes for rougness etc. in 5.3 too, so the difference between new (GGX) specular and old (Blinn Phong) is actually fairly small by now. Additionally, 5.3.1p1 (out today) fixed a small bug in 5.3 GGX that was producing slightly wrong specular highlights.

AcidArrow and Lex4art like this.
  5. phasiclabs

phasiclabs

Ah, I guess this is why we've spent the afternoon trying to work out why specular in our game doesn't look like it used to.

I've been through the release notes all the way back to 5.2.3 which is what we were previously using, and there was no mention in any of them that the specular model had changed :(

It would be extremely helpful if changes like this were mentioned in the release notes.

6. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

@phasiclabs
    https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.3

=)

7. phasiclabs

phasiclabs

ah yes, didn't manage to spot that! :)

We've changed it back to how it was, as the look of our game changed for the worse with the new shaders.

8. phasiclabs

phasiclabs

It would be very handy to have these shader options as Editor settings, rather than having to inject updated (or reverted) shader includes into the installation folders.

9. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah, we're thinking about something like that - UI to specify various options (global shader options/LODs, shadow filtering types, reflection probe settings etc. etc.), perhaps per quality level and/or platform. Quite some UI work, not sure when we'll get to do that. But on the TODO list :)

phasiclabs, GoGoGadget and Lex4art like this.
  10. STARFLEETJUNKY

STARFLEETJUNKY

Hi we have just updated to 5.3.7 from 5.2.3 and have the same issue as phasiclabs. The spec just doesn’t look as good as it did in earlier versions. I would go as far to say that it does not look good at all. It’s hard to get proper spec on some surfaces without it looking too glossy. Everything in the scene has a sort of dead looking grey hue to it.Also Is this version (5.3.7) stable as I’ve noticed that however hard I try some of my metal textures stay white and some look like they have Emissions on? We needed to update for vr but it looks so bad we are considering going back to an earlier release.We have been working on our game since unity 4 and to start altering all the Spec maps now would be unacceptable .

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017