Search Unity

ARWorldMap with ARFoundation

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Srokaaa, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Srokaaa

Srokaaa

How would I go with accessing ARWorldMap that was introduced in ARKit 2.0? AFAIK ARFoundation exposes no method to access it. Could I write some custom extension to ARKit plugin that would allow me to access it?

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

I've been working on adding it to com.unity.xr.arkit. It's being tested here and should be released shortly.

Srokaaa likes this.
  3. Srokaaa

Srokaaa

@tdmowrer Excellent, thank you. Since we are talking about it I have one more small question to ask. What's the deal with two concurrently maintained means of accessing ARKit from Unity? There is this ARKit plugin by Unity here:
    https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/unity-arkit-plugin/src/default/
    and of course there is also ARFoundation. Is ARFoundation meant to supersede the plugin? Which one is more stable/performant? Which one would you say I should choose to create a game that will be release approx. in 6 months?

4. lukasz_pasek

lukasz_pasek

Unity Technologies

Hi @Srokaaa

We are not planning to add additional functionality to ARKit plugin available on bitbucket. We will focus on developing AR Foundation instead. Depends on the timeline and features your project depends on, you will have to compare these two and choose the best. More functionality is going to be available in AR Foundation soon.

Srokaaa and newguy123 like this.
  5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

ARWorldMap is now supported with version 1.0.0-preview.17 of the ARKit package, available via Window > Package Manager.

Srokaaa likes this.