Search Unity

Artstation training free

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EricWilliams, Apr 30, 2021.

1. EricWilliams

EricWilliams

A certain company just bought Artstation and now all training on Artstation is free until the end of the year, learned this from Gamefromscratch youtube video. This is great. Haven't had a chance to look through it yet but I did log in and make sure the news is true and I was able to click around on training videos without a subscription account.

With Megagrants, free Quixel, free Artstation training and sellers earn more. I really want Unity to step up their game.

Kennth, MadeFromPolygons and Mauri like this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks like epic is becoming the biggest threat to Unity's business model as eventually both will be able to reach similar performance and coverage. So epic's gambit seems to be growing around it with stores, and indirect user acquisition. Interesting difference.

Both companies will grow stronger from all that.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm just here for the cheap stuff that Epic is leaving in their wake. At least when they buy things they tell us what the pricing is instead of making us contact somebody there to work out a licensing evaluation.

5. xjjon

xjjon

I can't recall any Unity acquisitions of services / platforms that became BETTER after the acquisition:(

Kennth and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

They have also made a number of expensive gamedev.tv courses available for free as well. There is a "make games with c++" course that is the most beginner friendly programming course I've found yet.

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This. There are none. They either drain it till its dead, try to change it into something its not, or cease supporting it almost straight away.

Only so many blows like this without any returning strikes from unity, before its too much of a gulf to catch up with. Some might say with UE5 on horizon, metahuman, the epic games online services, the store, quixel etc etc that we are already at that point.

Meanwhile we have artengine that is a crappier substance at 4x the price, unfinished ECS that wont be supported in mainstream unity for 1 more year at least based on latest announcements in that forum, and Unity MARS for AR which again costs a ton and to be honest doesnt do half as much as it should for the pricing. Oh, and they bought MLAPI so they can have yet another experiement that they eventually pull the plug on and frustrate us with (because sorry but at this point nobody is convincing me otherwise based on my history with unity since 2010 - only so many times you can fool me :) ).

Kennth, EricWilliams and JoNax97 like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

You know, I just purchased two unity assets a while ago and here you guys give me more reasons to switch away. (-_-)

9. Kennth

Kennth

Bolt, did me in. Now if i buy anything from unity it has to be 1/2 price sale.
    Sorry dev's .. it not you.

10. neoshaman

neoshaman

Just reposting because relevant

Unreal probably won't kill unity, unity will kill unity

Unity best bet now, is to become a publisher and use their tools and reach to make market leader, if they can, they don't seem to have the internal culture for it, they don't make games.

11. MDADigital

MDADigital

Unity actually need to make a actual game with their engine. Then they should understand how flawed the workflow is.

I have shifted stance in this matter, earlier I didn't think it was needed, but I'm pretty convinced alot of the workflow problems relate to that they do not make actuals games with their engine.

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

Making actual game may result in additional bizarre things in the engine design and code. I mean, Unreal used to have some FPS leftovers all the way till version 4.12 or so, and the codebase is not exactly user-friendly.

Then again, unity is already heading in the direction of lovecraftian madness with their new focus on package manager. New documentation for packages is clearly worse compared to docs from, say, unity 5.0.

13. MDADigital

MDADigital

Its clear that unity have never bothered with world building on a actual game scale. Stuff you notice when you make an actual game.

Have you made any actual games outside protypes?

14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Have you heard of NDAs?

... the earliest game where I participated in development has been released in 2007-2009. It is still on steam, despite the studio no longer existing. Tool programming and hacking a closed source engine to do the things it wasn't designed to do, fixing and making export plugins. (have you ever designed an exporter plugin from scratch for 3dsmax, maya, blender? I've done it too many times, it seems) That was fun. Given your behavior, I'll leave it to you to figure out which game it was. But it is real, actually exists, and it is about WWII. Good luck.