Search Unity

Feature Request ARTrackedImageManager: Automatic estimation of image target sizes

Discussion in 'AR' started by pojoih, Aug 8, 2022.

1. pojoih

pojoih

2. mikeyrafier98

mikeyrafier98

Not from Unity developer but I think this is a good idea. Although I think by setting the image size for Image Tracking manually, will help much the system to more accurately calculate the "actual image size" on the printed size. To think that, this manually settings will very helpful for certain old device that lack of depth estimation calculation. This idea of automated image scale calculation is good enough for phone/device that sufficient with lot of sensors, without worrying how size to be printed on the paper.

3. pojoih

pojoih

Problem is, as of my understanding, setting the image size disables all the estimate stuff the system is doing like adjusting the markertarget with eg. planes or other anchors. So we never get to see this in unity apps currently. When I'm deploying an app, I usually not get to control at which size markers are printed by customers and I have to make it very clear to them to print them at the exact right size. This could be a way around this stuff. Maybe there's a reason for Unity not to implement this eg. accuracy is crap, but I still want to know this reason :).

4. mikeyrafier98

mikeyrafier98

Well, that's right.
    By adjusting the marker size as same as the printed size, system will use this parameter to overwrite the automated that we're talking about.
    The other SDK does have that actually, but we're talking about AR foundation solution here, so yeah.
    Even though we're wanting some feature from Unity-AR Foundation, it still depending on Google and Apple themselves to implement the feature on both ARCore and ARKit.