Search Unity

Question Artifacts with DLSS or FidelityFX with TAA

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Arrhenius, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Arrhenius

Arrhenius

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with DLSS or FidelityFX. I guess it must be because of the Temporary Anti-Aliasing.
    In the following video you can see a strange effect (trail or ghost effect?) that appears on the cube when it rotates.

Honestly, the effect is quite ugly and I don't know how to fix it. I'm using unity version 2022.13f1. Could you tell me what I should do to reduce the effect? I have changed the four TAA options but it doesn't improve.

Thank you.

2. cLick1338

cLick1338

Does the cube's mesh renderer have motion vectors set to "Per Object Motion"? Also TAA set to high quality enables some extra settings that could help.

3. francescoc_unity

francescoc_unity

Unity Technologies

Note that TAA is disabled when DLSS is enabled.

Try verifying you do have motion vectors (DLSS need them too)

4. Arrhenius

Arrhenius

Hi,

Motion vectors is turned on. Furthermore, the mesh of the cube's face have the motion vectors set to "per object motion".

On the other hand, It seems to be a problem with the emission of the cube edges. If I remove the emission, the ghosting effect disappears. It seems that an object that emits light and moves and rotates gives rise to this kind of problem.

Could it be?

5. cLick1338

cLick1338

That is likely SSGI's fault then, maybe SSR too. Toggle each and see what changes.
    If they're the reason, tweak their settings in the volume profile and it should improve.

If you cannot completely fix it; The scene looks static enough, you should be able to fake GI with a handful of well placed area lights. SSR could be replaced by a planar/box reflection probe but it seems you already have one.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  6. Arrhenius

Arrhenius

Hi,

I have make a new video where you can see how I disable SSR, GI and AO, but the problem of ghosting or trail effect continues.

On the other hand, if I disable the dynamic resolution (I keep the TAA enabled), the problem disappears, even if SSR, GI or AO effects are activated.

The problem seems to be the combination of using bright colors and DLSS or Fidelity FX (with TAAU).

Thank you very much.