Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Artifacts around edges of some objects with SSR enabled

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by Deleted User, May 10, 2022.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've been getting these weird visual artifacts around some objects in my scene when SSR is enabled. What could be causing these?

Attached Files:

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It looks like it is SSR falling back to the global reflection probe in a less than graceful manner.

Not sure what you can do about it, hopefully someone else that used Unity's recent SSR will chime in.

3. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hum, this looks like an issue we fixed recently about artifacts tiles visible on reflections when the material has clear coat.

Can you try to disable clear coat on your material ? (Coat mask value to zero) and see if that fixes the problem?

CATByte_Studio likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Interesting.. So, outright disabling clear coat and setting clear coat between 0 and 0.01 causes the artifacts to appear. Set it to 0.02 however, and they don't show up. But now it seems.. off? It's hard to describe but simply put, I like the look of it better without clear coat.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2022
  5. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

I checked and the issue is fixed and verified but has not reached the mainline yet.
    If you want to fix it locally, it's only a one liner fix.
    upload_2022-5-11_21-15-2.png

To expand a little on why it feels different even though you added only 0.02 of clear coat.

Bsically, when you enable clear coat (puting a value greater than 0.01), you "activate" clear coat on your object, it's a binary state modulated by a multiplier.
    When "activated", HDRP uses SSR only for the transparent smooth clear coat specular reflection.
    The specular reflection of the base layer of the material falls back to the next reflection method in the reflection hierarchy. (which would be either reflection probe or sky).

In your case, SSR now only contribute for 0.02 for your smooth clear coat specular reflection (so it will be very faint) and what used to be rendered using SSR (the base layer) is now using reflection probe or sky, so the result will look very different.

Hope this helps.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I try to change that line, unity switches it back to what it was and this shows up in the console:

The package cache was invalidated and rebuilt because the following immutable asset(s) were unexpectedly altered:
    Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/Material/Lit/Lit.hlsl

Also, the line is supposed to fix artifacts for clear coat above 0.0 right?
    This still won't fix the artifacts appearing for when clear coat is set to 0 and turned off,
    am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2022
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

When "activated", HDRP uses SSR only for the transparent smooth clear coat specular reflection.
    The specular reflection of the base layer of the material falls back to the next reflection method in the reflection hierarchy. (which would be either reflection probe or sky).

Are there future plans to have SSR for both clear coat and the base layer?

8. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Sadly, no. :|

9. CATByte_Studio

CATByte_Studio

Had the same issue with (unity 2021- HDRP- Raytracing), and your suggestion worked. Thank you!

Deleted User likes this.