A Unity ID allows you to buy and/or subscribe to Unity products and services, shop in the Asset Store and participate
in the Unity community.
Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by AndersMalmgren, Jan 23, 2017.
a problem where I get strange shadow artifacts on 90 degree corners. Like here
Forgot the setting
Tried with compressed unchecked, still strange articats look at the seam between the wall mesh. Next im upping the padding from 2 to 4
That's what I was going to suggest, let us know how it goes.
Didnt help (maybe a bit), I'll test with 8 and see if its any better But its late here in Europe now, I'll post a pic tomorrow with padding 8
OKey so this is my current settings after last bake
The settings I think makes most difference for my artifacts are Compressed unchecked and padding = 8. But I stil get artifacts,
Any tips would be highly appreciated, thanks
Can final gather help? I'm reluctat to test because of the time it takes
Are you making your own UVs or are you using Generate lightmap UVs on your meshes?
Thanks for reply, I use the asset out of the box from the artist, https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/74311
I then just bake with above options
When you click the mesh in Project view, in the Inspector import settings, is the "Generate Lightmap UVs" checkbox, checked?
(if yes, try raising the pack margin value, see if that improves things)
The meta files are like they were from author, here is example on the pilar you see in screenshot
Ok, by how much?
edit: I checked my other assets, that checkbox is not checked for my other assets from other authors.
32 should be more than enough. Try checking the checkbox for the other assets, set a high-ish pack margin (16 to be on the safe side? if it looks okay, you can start lowering it afterward), rebake, and see if that fixes it.
its the same on all assets in this package, so screenshots above are done with these settings already applied :/
The author seems to have used different settings on different assets though,
Should I contact him and ask for custom UVs?
Hello. Very common problem when using baked lightning in unity. It's really hard to get rid of all the artifcats if not impossible. So what I can recommend to minimize the problems, I've found that increasing pack margin will help. So you can try to increase it to 32 or something very high on wall pieces. Another one that has huge impact is the resolution of the bake. So setting a higher resolution will give you less artifacts, but obviously will take longer to bake. So it's more about when are you happy enough with the artifacts, but I think you should increase it to 70+. Also baked padding could be increased to 12 or so. But as I said, when using baked lightning there will be almost always some problems, at least I or anyone I know haven't really had a perfect solution to it when working with full scenes.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Our other assets does not have these problems, could it be that they have custom lightmap UV's?
Here is a comparision with one of our other assets,
edit: Are all your assets generated UVs? I'm thinking of getting both the suburban asset and the city block one
Yes all of them have auto generated lightmap uv's.
Self made lightmap uv's might help. Have you tried putting the same pilars or wall pieces to this scene and see if there's artifacs?
I have tried the same baking settings yes, the first settings screenshot is actually the same settings thats works good with the tiles in above screenshot. Since then I have increased padding to 8 res. to 40 and turned off compression.
So I tried to investigate it once again and I actually found a way to get rid of the baking errors. I tried manual lightmap uv's etc but no help and I've been struggling with the problem for years but now I think I found something, at least it fixed the problems with my test scene. So you would have to change the settings from the wall models. Set Hard Angle to 35 from Lightmap UV's and Increase Pack Margin to 52. In Most cases pack margin 32 was enough but it still sometimes gave some baking errors but with 52 it was good. Also from baking settings I had baked padding set to quite high (12) and compressed had to be taken off. You can try this and I think it should fix the problems.
Thanks going to try that