Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Artifact on HDRP, pixelated squares when looking in a certain direction

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by igorlima97, Apr 1, 2019.

1. igorlima97

igorlima97

upload_2019-4-1_1-57-51.png

FOCUS OBJECT ------> SPHERES and the pixelated squares on it.

In several objects, including this spheres, when looking at a certain angle if appears to show some pixelated squares as artifact, already upgraded to the last stable version , but with no suceess, this happened after a lightning bake , and I didnt change setting from the 30 times I did it before...so I assume it can only be a bug, did bake again , checked all the postprocessing and also moved some camera setting to check.

If anyone has any help to provide I would be grateful, anyway not sure if this is the place to put this up , so ..sorry in advance

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

What version?

3. igorlima97

igorlima97

from 3.6 to 3.11f1

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If it's possible to upgrade, please do so via the package manager. If upgrading Unity is possible then latest 2019.1 would be a safe bet as well (along with 5.10 of HDRP)

5. igorlima97

igorlima97

Got it. Will try

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Might need to use the show preview packages option in the package manager too as HDRP is not due to be production ready until 2019.3 - which means you can find some rough edges and will need to upgrade from time to time until then.

7. igorlima97

igorlima97

Had to rebuild the scene for almost 3 hours but it is a bug with the range of a point light, thanks for the help tho!

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Rebuilding for 3 hours sounds painful, there are a number of easier wins. Is everything prebaked and lightmapped for you? you may find with HDRP you can get the same quality with realtime and conservative settings, but I'm happy your artefact is solved.

9. igorlima97

igorlima97

Oh rebuilding the scene( Asset by asset(not light) since I did have a backup file, and then upgrading the unity project to 2019 made it crash, not showing any mesh actually :()) 3 Hours for light baking in this would be really bad , I agree :D

hippocoder likes this.
  10. Ehredt

Ehredt

Out of curiosity, were you using subsurface scattering on that material? I've found that I get large, obvious pixelation with certain diffusion profiles, so it would be nice if it turned out it's something to do with point light range.

11. igorlima97

igorlima97

No, it is a standard material
    I wish it would only happened in SSS materials ;) Would have saved me loads of work.

12. konsic

konsic

Did you fix these black cubes ?

I noticed something like that when using SSR.

13. igorlima97

igorlima97

Does HDRP now support SSR , well didnt know that :( unfortunately , it makes me reduce the range of the point lights to values that make the scene not look so good , so I couldnt fix it. ;( I will be using this version to make the environment and then When I am happy I move to 2019, and do the final version .Hopefully the HDRP or this bug will get fixed :(

14. konsic

konsic

Yes, it supports it. But, I think it will get updated in future.