Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Pipeline

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frogames, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Frogames

Frogames

Hi all,

My name is Christophe CANON, from Frogames, and i'm an artist.
    I'm not here to find some work in the community, but to ask a few questions about art pipeline.

My job is to create art content packs (as you can see in my website), and my goal is to provide source files and precompiled files for game engines. I started with a first pack (the Dungeon Pack), and included files for a first game engine, and now, I'm looking for informations in order to include sources and precompiled files for the Unity engine.

So, Can you point me some good ressources about the export process for the Unity engine, some exporters downloads links, and can you tell me what is your favorite 3D app ?

Thank you!
    Christophe
    http://www.frogames.net

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I would recommend exporting your artwork in the fbx format. This way unity can read them natively and users can still modify them.

The best art pipeline integration is with maya (We directly import maya mb files)
    But lightwave, cinema 4d, 3ds max, softimage all nicely export to fbx as well.

For textures the most convenient would probably be psd files which are not flattened. That way people can still modify your textures easily. Unity natively reads psd files and automatically compresses/flattens them when building a game.

When creating a content pack for unity i would recommend you create unity packages. This is the easiest way for people to just import all assets with all import settings setup.

http://www.otee.dk/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-exportpackage.html

3. Frogames

Frogames