Search Unity

Arrays won't update properly

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sergiumarcu97, Aug 18, 2019.

1. sergiumarcu97

sergiumarcu97

So I'm currently trying to figure out the movement of my character. I am making a 2D platformer and I'm trying to make it so that if the character gets stuck on the x axis while receiving movement input, he'll get pushed upwards instead (e.g. I jump and land on the side of a platform, character gets stuck, so while still holding d I want the character to get up so that he can land on the platform).
    My approach was to create an array of 2, and in the start function initialize a[1] with my current x position:
    arr[0] = 0; arr[1] = rb2d.position.x;

In the update function I have set an if statement to calculate if a certain amount of time has passed as I don't want this check to be made continuously, only .1 seconds for example. So I'm testing it with 2 seconds right now :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (System.Math.Round(timePassed,1) % 2 == 0)
    2.         {
    3.             arr[0] = arr[1];
    4.             arr[1] = rb2d.position.x;
    5.             Debug.Log("arr 0 is " + arr[0]);
    6.             Debug.Log("arr 1 is " + arr[1]);
    8.         }
    The problem I encounter is both array elements get the same value each time they get updated:

Any solution, alternatives or code checking is highly appreciated!
    Thank you, Sergiu.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

According to the time in your log, they get different values:
    upload_2019-8-18_11-6-28.png
    It looks correct to me. arr0 receives the value from the previous arr1 element, that's why they seem to appear in pairs.

3. gononono64

gononono64

Yeah looks good to me its just printing backwards

4. sergiumarcu97

sergiumarcu97

Wow, given my previous experience with modifying the code 100 times I believed it still prints the same values for each array element. I was only looking for the values and not the timestamp. Guess it's something to learn from. Thank you guys!