Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Array based Object Placement Tool (Editor Extension)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by xathos, Apr 8, 2011.

1. xathos

xathos

This is a simple, but effective, tool for creating repeating formations of objects. For those familiar with Blender, this essentially implements the array modifier via an editor script: 'startTransform' is used to set the starting location, and the current object is used to modify this with each instantiation of the given object, 'obj' - up to a set count. Like blender, this is all rebuilt in realtime via OnSceneGUI(), and some pretty cool stuff can be done with this once arrays of arrays of objects are created... :D

Anyways, I expect that this should be a welcome boon to anyone building platform, arcade, or any other type of game that uses repeated placements of pickups/obstacles and the like. More creative uses also probably exist - let me know if you make anything cool with it :D

Edit: Note - Object handles must be set from 'center' to 'pivot' for this to work correctly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. xathos

xathos

I just realized that I forgot to include the mesh I was using in the example scene xD
    Here's the fixed package (can't seem to edit post attachments for some reason).

Attached Files:

3. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Dude, this look like a very nice initiative !
    I use very often the array modifier in bender. This can be useful in many way.

Can the array modifier follow a curve path ?
    My thinking is to use this for a making a road.

4. imtrobin

imtrobin

Looks good but I can't run it in 3.4. And can you please have a c# version instead of boo

unityunity