Search Unity

Assets Arkitektoy/modular construction set

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ARKITEKTOY, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ARKITEKTOY

ARKITEKTOY

Hello,

My name is Luc Trudeau and in my childhood, I loved to play with Meccano and Minibricks (those that looked like Legos but Weren't).

As I was growing up, I always dreamed of inventing my own construction set, just like most of you who are aspiring to create your own video game, for yourself and for others.

As I grew older, I needed to choose a profession (not only to make a respectable living for myself) but one that would satisfy part of this need. So, it is no surprise that I became an architect and practiced for over 35 years.

Yet, I still wanted to develop my construction set.

And today, after many years of development and what it seems to be an eternity of trial and errors, I am proud to say that I finally did it!

I named my construction set “ARKITEKTOY”. It comes from ‘’arkitekto’’ which means architect in the Esperanto language, to which I added a ‘’y’’ at the end to emphasize the playful aspect of creation.

In fact, ARKITEKTOY is a matrix that can generate an endless collection of construction sets with unique style. The pieces in each set are scalable and snap together to achieve virtual and real-life creations.

After having tried another modeling tool, I chose Sketchup to model my pieces. I personally use the Pro version but I will eventually save my models in the free version of Sketchup in order to sell them in the Asset Store. I also intend to provide the associated files for Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, 3D Printing and CNC fabrication.

Recently, I was about to launch a crowd funding campaign for ARKITEKTOY on Kickstarter when I discovered Unity and its Asset Store. I have noted that, in Unity, the basic unit is the meter. Because I was currently working with the imperial system (inch and foot), I decided to redraw everything in the metric system to make it more useful for Unity.

I have attached three images that show some examples of what can be created with ARKITEKTOY.

I would like to know if working with Sketchup before exporting your models in Unity sounds realistic. I would also really appreciate having your thoughts on how ARKITEKTOY can help you create your dream world for your video games.

Many thanks in advance!

Luc

Allée vers le temple_7.jpg JEU IV_MAISON ROMAINE_II_STYL_BR.png JEU IV_KUBO_II_vue2.jpg