Search Unity

ARKit workflow

Discussion in 'AR' started by zuppaman, Feb 21, 2018.

1. zuppaman

zuppaman

Hey,

Thx for the Unity devs for putting so much effort in making the arkit development as easy as possible.
    Love the samples and remote connection.

I'm starting my second Unity, have been doing mostly opengl projects before.
    When doing development for mobile I still like to do the bulk of the development on my Windows desktop (because its way faster) and than just deploy it with my macbook to iOS.

I was wondering would it be interesting to have 2 separate projects. One with all the game elements, animations and code. And the second unity project with just the ARKit specific stuff.
    Than I would export all my stuff from the first project to the second project with a prefab.
    So once I have a good plane found with ARKit I just load the whole prefab.
    Is this a good thing to do, anyone have experience working like this?

Thx in advance
    Kris

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, that would be a weird workflow... If you want to edit your content, you have to open the first project, make the edit, export the prefab as a unitypackage (which will contain all game elements, animations and code anyways if you want to use the prefab), open the second project, import the unitypackage (containing everything used in the first project anyways), edit your settings to make them work again and finally start over when you want to change something.

Are you using a repo? Sourcetree? Git? Any source control?
    Use it to develop on your pc, push to the repo, pull on the mac, build on ios. :)

Have your ARKit specific stuff in a scene and all the game elements in another scene (or spawn/activate a prefab if you prefer). Thus, everything is kept separate but you don't have two copies of the project... That said, keeping ARKit-specific scripts and content in its own folder is a must-do.

TL,DR : Not a good thing. You would have two copies of nearly the same project.

3. zuppaman

zuppaman

Hey Alex,

Thx for your feedback.
    You're right my workflow is kinda overkill.

Currently I settled for turning all ARKit on and off when working between platforms.
    Takes me like 20 sec are so which is doable.

Thx
    Kris