Search Unity

ARkit Object Detecion limitation in unity

Discussion in 'AR' started by Raj26, May 13, 2019.

1. Raj26

Raj26

What type of limitation do ARkit have for unity like:
    > Size of object that we detect
    > Type of object we detect that have best featuring point, can i detect a golf ball
    > Maximum or Minimum Distance from which we can detect the object
    > Detected object position is moving when i rotate the camera

2. zyonneo

zyonneo

I think we cannot detect large objects.Golf ball I do not think so because it has only a single colour, may be the small dimples and any design will help.The object must a very good colour combination and less shine,i.e. shiny metals will be hard to detect.

3. Raj26

Raj26

That's what i'm asking what are the limitation in unity for ARkit for object detection??? help me out please..

4. zyonneo

zyonneo

From what I know I have said in my answer...I have only done one object recognition using ARkit using example scene.The object should contain maximum feature points.This is similar to image detection.Have you done any image detection projects?

5. Raj26

Raj26

Yes but that also creating same issue like when i'm instantiating any object in image detection object is moving from it's position instead of instantiating at pivot of detected object it is instantiating different position. because of that i'm unable to calculate distance between two object in ARkit object detection. Can be able to calculate the distance between to object in ARkit object detection.

6. zyonneo

zyonneo

In Image detection,when you show the device camera at the image target the user added model should come on top of it.Is it floating away or instantiated at different position?If floating then the tracking is not good.It can be cause by low lights or too much light.

7. Raj26

Raj26

All things done and implemented still not doing proper detection.Somebody please give me solution for this. Help me out.

8. zyonneo

zyonneo

Explain in detail.

9. Raj26

Raj26

As i told you earlier also that i'm trying to detecting a golf ball its is been detected but to some distance after that it wont i know its because its not getting good featuring points but i'm doing full scan and good scan so that it is detected from some distance, i tried this experiment in open environment where light is good . One more thing when its is detected anyhow object instantiated on it its not instantiated on its pivot its instantiated at random position.

10. zyonneo

zyonneo

May be the ball does not have sufficient feature points..try to add some small designs on the golf ball and check whether it is getting detected...if yes..then the prob is with the feature points...object is getting instantiated at random position...Check whether the object u want to instantiate is at the origin the ,also the pivot of the model is at the centre of the object

11. Raj26

Raj26

yes may the problem is featuring points so it is the problem in clear object detection in ARkit model detection. As like you have seen an App called "Golf Scope" which type of detection is used in that is that made in unity.

12. zyonneo

zyonneo

I have seen this app earlier.I got not clue.My assumption it is not only done with ARKit alone.May they have done with a bit more advanced techniques like using Computer vision and AI.Teaching our device to detect ball and hole ;)

13. Raj26

Raj26

have you ever done object detection by opencv. If yes can we do that be free version or paid version?

14. zyonneo

zyonneo

No..Not using OpenCV...OpenCV is an open source I believe you can learn that and apply it .....or there is a plugin available which paid asset from unity OPEN CV for unity which will be easy for unity developers and try out...Contact them and ask whether they support object detection.

15. ROBYER1

ROBYER1