Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARKit: limitations without GPS ( standard/noncellular iPAD)

Discussion in 'AR' started by spacefrog, Nov 23, 2018.

1. spacefrog

spacefrog

Just wanted to buy an iPad 2018 to use for Untiy+ARKit development. Then i noted that the non LTE/Cellular version does'nt come with a GPS receiver. As i plan to experiment/develop location based, outdoor AR experiences ( for building/construction/architecture Apps), i wondered what are the implications if the development device misses the GPS location input, for example being able to exactly locate the device position in real world space.
    Imagine to show a still not existing building on the real world location on your device, when the user visits the construction site ( despite of course the dependency on wifi access if you have no LTE/cellular functionality in your ipad )
    Anyone has some insight to share ?

2. oleyb

oleyb

You'd need some other sort of marker to place it if you don't have GPS. Maybe an image target posted on a real-world sign which positions the user?

Alternatively look into external GPS devices that can connect to the iPad over Bluetooth or the lightning port.

3. spacefrog

spacefrog

thanks oley for the details. yes i figured that for a project, users without gps/cellular would need some extra solution like the ones you you mention. For my concrete case it was about the developer device purchase. Soon after creating this thread, I ran over a great occasion to buy me a used 2017 iPad (incl. cellular) so im ready for developing ;-)