Search Unity

ARkit is already doing really well for AR, how do we extend it for XR?

Discussion in 'AR' started by Arvin6, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Arvin6

Arvin6

Say, we have to enable stereo view for cardboard or others. Currently the native cardboard sdk for Unity does badly for tracking (ARkit bug, I think). There was so much drift and is not really usable. I'm not sure what the solution for this would be but I think it is necessary to have a solution for Stereo at least from ARKit's release so that it would better support Mixed reality use cases.

I'm attaching @skdev3 's video for reference, it seems to do ok-ish for horizontal movements but vertical movements has got a lot of drift. It would be cool if someone comes up with a solution for this.

2. christophergoy

christophergoy

This is happening because both ARKit and Cardboard are trying to set the camera's projection matrix.

3. Arvin6

Arvin6

Yes, I was guessing something like that. But can it be sorted? I was working on it for days now, without a clue. I have also raised an issue on gvr-unity-sdk repo. I believe it is necessary for ARkit to work on Stereo mode. And thanks for throwing some light on what the problem really is. :)