Search Unity

ARKit ARReferenceObject Issues when using Apples Scanner with usdz-Model as Refererence

Discussion in 'AR' started by akthree88, Mar 25, 2019.

1. akthree88

akthree88

Hey there,

I was provided with a arobject file which was created from an architectural modell. The goal is to replace the real world model with an interactive one using ARKit and the object tracking functionality. We scanned the model using Apples given Scanner application and used a USDZ model to set the origin according to our needs

here is the line from Apple`s documentation:
    In this step you can also use the Add (+) button to load a 3D model in USDZ format. The app displays the model as it would appear in AR upon detecting the real-world object, and uses the model’s size to adjust the scale of the reference object.

Now for some reason Unity is not really happy since i am now struggeling with scaling issues and more frequently a gimbal lock problem which is showing through exessive flipping of the model while moving.

I did not find any further reference or any kind of information of the USDZ model as part of the scanning progress in relation of using Unity-ARKit-Plugin.

So my main question is, if someone has tested this kind of setup and was succesful or struggled like i do but managed to fix this ... also the question remains if this manipulation of the origin is part of the Unity ARKit Plugin since it all seem to work properly while remaining in XCode and the native librarys.

Any help would be much appreciated

Blarp and theruins like this.
  2. theruins

theruins

I'm facing the same issue ans haben't found a fix yet. as soon as i place an object to correctly adjust the model position and scale, unity fails to place the object correctly when using the generated arobject.
    have you found a fix?

Blarp likes this.
  3. samuelmorais

samuelmorais

Hi, @akthree88,

In my case, I had problems specially if the tracked object had repeated features. For example, a toy that has many similar drawings.

I think you should try with many kinds of objects to find what works better and understand how the tracking works.