Search Unity

Question Arkit 6 4K camera - provide more accurate tracking than 1080p cam?

Discussion in 'AR' started by newguy123, Jan 17, 2023.

1. newguy123

newguy123

Hi guys

If I enable my cam to use the 4K video, will that provide better or more accurate tracking, than for example not enabling the 4K video?

2. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

Apple has made no such announcement. We don't believe this is the case.

3. newguy123

newguy123

Why enable it then?
    Or its mainly meant for recording the session?

4. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

5. newguy123

newguy123

In that video, at around the 5:50 mark, the guy mentioned that the aspect is 16:9 and that the image will need cropping on the sides for ipad and that final image may look zoomed in if you want full screen display

@andyb-unity Your script from another thread, that switches to the 4K cam, seem to not tackle the cropping and fullscreen disaply. Do AR Foundation already handle that internally perhaps together with ARKit, or do I need to add more code to enable fullscreen display on the ipad and the cropping mentioned in the video?

6. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

The AR Camera Background component will always render a fullscreen background. It does so via a display matrix that ARKit gives us for this purpose. (If you have an iPad you could also confirm this for yourself?)

7. garrido86

garrido86

I'm interested in 4K Video Recording with this new 4K Mode from ARKit.
    As I understand, switching to that mode only changes the background camera image, so do I need to change the App resolution to 4K as well? Is that even possible/allowed on iOS?

8. andyb-unity

andyb-unity

Unity Technologies

I don't believe there is an iOS API to change the resolution of your app. Your app is always rendered at the resolution of the screen, which varies by device.

Note that if you are recording the screen, you will lose some amount of resolution relative to the resolution of the background image. The 4K background image is a true 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels), but not even iPhone 14 Pro Max can render that image at full resolution onscreen (2796 x 1290-pixels). Your screen recording will always be the resolution of the screen, which is likely less than the maximum resolution of the camera.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-14-pro/specs/