Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARKit 2 and MultiPeer Connectivity to share anchors

Discussion in 'AR' started by T1nk35B3ll, Sep 27, 2018.

1. T1nk35B3ll

T1nk35B3ll

I'm trying to share an anchor between two devices.
    All the examples show that we can share the WorldMap, using the serialized format of the ARWorldMap, but I don't understand how I can get the anchors from the ARWorldMap to render these anchors on the other device.

I use the MultiPeer Connectivity feature. I am able to share the ARWorldMap.
    Reading the Apple's documentation, the ARSession contains the anchors saved in the map. Each anchor should have a name property that we could use to determine which 3D model to display when we resume a session.
    Regarding the Unity plugin, I don't find a way to get those anchors.

Can someone could enlighten me ?

For the info : Unity 2018.2.7 + iPhone 7 and iPhone X both on iOS 12, MultiPeer Connectivity plugin from Prime 31

2. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

this is currently not supported by the plugin. You could add that functionality to the plugin or share a dictionary consisting of anchor identifiers and descriptions when you share the map

3. jimmya

jimmya

I'm not sure this is true - ARWorldMap contains any user anchors too I believe. I haven't tried this myself, but if you add user anchors before you save the ARWorldMap, when you load ARWorldMap and it relocalizes, you should get your ARUserAnchorAdded callbacks for every user anchor that was saved.

4. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

that's true but the anchors have a random identifier, so you can't tell what that anchor represents unless you save and synchronize that meta data

5. jimmya

jimmya

You are right dangit! User anchors have a name field that you can provide, but the plugin does not use the initWithName:transform method to create anchors. Feature request?

6. jimmya

jimmya

7. NAKAS

NAKAS

8. MrMatthias

MrMatthias

Would be great, or i make a pull reuest on the weekend

karsnen, fbenedetti and jimmya like this.
  9. karsnen

karsnen

@MrMatthias && @jimmya

Did you guys find a solution for this?

Intention

I have virtual objects when I am trying to create an experience. I store the positional and rotational values of the those objects for to reproduce. I am trying to find the best recommend way to reproduce the virtual object when loading a saved/recorded ARWorldMap. I find discrepancy with respect to Apple documents.

Method for reproduction

By saving the positional & rotational values of the virtual objects whiling save ARWorldMap - I am thinking about instantiating the virtual objects at those positional & rotational values, when loading a saved ARWorldMap. As soon as the objects are loaded, planning to add ArAnchor to those objects to respond to anchor updates.

Even with this approach, I am unclear as of what Mapping State should I instantiate those virtual objects. At what context, should I reproduce those virtual objects?

------------------------------------------ TLDR

ARWorldMap : https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/arworldmap

Scenario

According to Apple docs, ARWorldMap has set of anchors recorded in the world map [link]. But with Unity's UnityEngine.XR.iOS.ARWorldMap, that recorded data is not exposed.
    With regard to the example posted on Apple's website,

[https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/creating_a_persistent_ar_experience]

They recommend to use the recorded ARAnchor's name from ARWorldMap to instantiated the virtual content.

Questions

1. Missing out on recorded anchor data in UnityEngine.XR.iOS.ARWorldMap, is this intentional or do you have timeline for development?

10. owain_rich

owain_rich

@jimmya @karsnen @NAKAS

I wondered if anyone had any success with this? I figured if I could send a string via MultiPeer Connectivity as well as the anchor data I could use the string to select which 3D model would be created for a given anchor.

So I'm trying to combine these two MultiPeer Connectivity examples, one that sends ARKit UserAnchors and one that sends strings (see below for the links - I'm getting blocked from posting them as it's my first post here).

The reason for this is that I want to send both Anchors and strings between two phones. Both projects work individually but when I try to combine the code I get a crash when sending a string on the receiving device.

As far as I can see both sets of code extend the UnityMCSessionNativeInterface class to serialise data and use Observables to listen for this data. I've tried various methods of combining the code but I always get a crash when sending a string on the receiving device.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Owain

11. owain_rich

owain_rich

Ah unfortunately I can't post links on here for some reason.

12. stich34

stich34

13. stich34

stich34