Search Unity

ARInterface ios and android

Discussion in 'AR' started by Eiseno, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Eiseno

Eiseno

Hello,
    Currently i am developing my ar app with arcore. If i use ARInterface should i build same app for ios and android without changing my code ?

Also is there any feature difference between arinterface with arkit,arcore sdks ?

Best Regards

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Yes, that's the idea :)

ARInterface does not cover the entire feature set of both platforms. It provides tracking, plane detection, feature points, and lighting estimation info. However, you can modify the C# to add anything you specifically need.

If you're just starting out on a new project, you might consider waiting until Unity 2018.1 is released (any day now). It includes multi-platform support for handheld AR, including ARCore and ARKit.

Cheers,
    Tim

3. Eiseno

Eiseno

Is Unity latest beta 2018.1.0b13(+ARCore 1.1.0) includes multi-platform support for handheld AR ? or should i wait for release version ?

4. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

It includes the C# API, but the ARCore and ARKit packages (delivered via package manager) are still being QA'd. Probably best to wait for the official release.

5. Eiseno

Eiseno

Tim should i still wait for new version or start my project ? Are there a big changes from current ARInterface github codes ?

6. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

It has similar functionality, but an all new API. I recommend waiting because the new version will be fully supported by Unity, whereas ARInterface is demo code that we provided as an example.

egidijus_lee likes this.
  7. nilsdr

nilsdr

Been looking into this, can't find the API or any other reference to it in the documentation for 2018.1b, is that correct?

https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/Manual/

8. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The documentation is distributed with the package, so you won't find it online (yet).

9. Eiseno

Eiseno

Tim is there any estimated release data for 2018.1 ? This week ?Next week ? Next month ? I just stopped developing my project and do nothing for 10 days :)

10. nilsdr

nilsdr

the frontpage sais April, waiting anxiously aswel

11. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The exact date depends on a lot of variables, but "by the end of April" is a reasonable estimate.

12. ibyte

ibyte

Hi @timmunity , will we see XR support in the package manger in a beta before 2018.1 release?

13. Eiseno

Eiseno

Hi @timmunity is AR interface included in 2018.2 beta ? i cant see it.

14. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

I think there may be a bit of confusion here: AR Interface was a demo I showed at Unite Austin last year. The package we're discussing here (called AR Utilities, btw) provides similar functionality, but is documented, QA'd, and maintained just like normal Unity code.

Packages are not (necessarily) tied to specific versions of Unity. When they are published, they will become available in 2018.1 and 2018.2 betas immediately.

While the 2018.1 release and the ARUtilities package release are not tied together, they will probably be released around the same time.

15. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Hey @timmunity, any idea when ARUtilities package will be released? Was very excited to get 2018.1 today only to find its not there yet!
    Cheers
    R

16. nilsdr

nilsdr

I'd like to know aswel

17. nilsdr

nilsdr

I'd like to know aswel

18. Eiseno

Eiseno

@timmunity +1

19. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Hi folks,

AR Utilities isn't quite ready yet. We're still testing internally, and it's taking longer than we initially thought. Thanks for your patience, and we hope to have it out soon.

When it is ready, it will show up in the Package Manager immediately, so you aren't stuck waiting for the next Unity release.

Rowlan likes this.
  20. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Thanks @timmunity... look forward to trying it out.

21. Rok

Rok

I'm wondering how development of AR Utilities will be handled going forward. With features like image recognition and vertical planes now available with both ARCore and ARKit, can we expect this to be supported (in a future version)? What about Cloud Anchors?
    It seems that Google's and Apple's pace of development is rather fast. I'm a little bit worried that Unity will have a hard time keeping up. Any thoughts, @timmunity ?
    With that said, what you showed at GDC looked solid and I can't wait to use it :)

Saicopate and nilsdr like this.
  22. dyuldashev

dyuldashev

@timmunity I am wondering if AR Utlities is coming anytime soon? It's not in 2018.2b either...

23. jariwake

jariwake

Hi. I was trying to find information on the future of ARInterface and ended up here. Great to hear that there is an official "AR SDK wrapper" in the works. @timmunity: I would suggest that you add the information about how ARInterface is discontinued and the real thing is ARUtilities in github to avoid confusion: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/experimental-ARInterface

I would also like to know if the new ARCore 1.2 features (such as cloud achors and vertical surface detection) will be supported by the initial release of ARUtilities?

And it would also be nice to get an update on the estimation when ARUtilities will be available.

Edit: I found some contradicting information in another thread: it says that the AR SDK wrapper will be called ARFoundation instead of ARUtilities. Which one will it be?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  24. Aupuma

Aupuma

@timmunity any news?? I need to start the AR part of my project and I would prefer to use this than the native ARCore code...

Saicopate, rgjones and dyuldashev like this.
  25. jordyhenry

jordyhenry

Im waiting updates about this to start a new AR important project too, @timmunity can you please confirm if is viable to wait this package to be launched

26. Saicopate

Saicopate

Same question here @timmunity. Would be nice to hear if the package gonna come this month/next month/etc.

TLGGUnity and nilsdr like this.
  27. jimmya

jimmya

28. dyuldashev

dyuldashev

29. Aupuma

Aupuma