Search Unity

ARGun, how to link to unity

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Corva-Nocta, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Corva-Nocta

Corva-Nocta

I went to Dave & Busters a few nights ago and won an ARGun toy which has been pretty cool. Its a plastic "gun" that you hook your phone up to and the phone bluetooth connests to the gun. There are several games you can play where all you have to do is move the gun to aim. They are super simple but its still fun.

So I was wondering, how could I go about making a game that uses the same product? I'm not interested in selling the project, just want to make something for fun. I just want to see what I can make with a few simple movement controls and the pointing from the toy.

I'm just now starting to look into this so really I'm just looking to see if anyone can point me in the right direction. I did some google sesrching but came up empty handed, I fogured this would be the next best place to look.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sounds like fun. My guess is that all it's getting from the gun is a trigger signal. Hopefully they've implemented that as a standard button or keypress.

In fact the first thing I'd do is connect the gun, fire up a notepad app, and see if pressing the trigger results in any character appearing as if you'd typed it. If so, then all you have to do is check for that key in your Unity app.

Failing that, write a little app that scans and reports on all buttons. Hopefully one of them will light up when you press the trigger.

3. Corva-Nocta

Corva-Nocta

Both solid ideas! I had considered the second one, but I figured if someone knew how to get the info easier I should go with that haha. But I'll give them a try!