Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ArgumentException: oldValue is the empty string.

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by 00christian00, Sep 25, 2016.

1. 00christian00

00christian00

Whenever I try to compile using a project that compile fine on regular 5.4 I get the error:
    ArgumentException: oldValue is the empty string.
    I tried deleting all the manifest but it's still showing.
    Here is the full stack. I can't share the project sorry.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: oldValue is the empty string.
    2. System.String.Replace (System.String oldValue, System.String newValue) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1664)
    3. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.NativePlugins.StripVersionFromFilename (System.String fileName, System.String ext)
    4. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.NativePlugins.ProcessPlugin (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context, System.String pluginPath, System.String pluginTargetCPU)
    5. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.NativePlugins.Execute (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context)
    6. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context)
    7. UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry)
    8. UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args)
    9. UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.BuildReporting.BuildReport report) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:176)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

2. 00christian00

00christian00

I think I found the culprit.
    Seem it doesn't like having folders inside "Plugins\Android" . If you have some folder inside there the above error appears. The same project have no trouble with regular 5.4.

3. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue and a fix will be out shortly. You can either remove the folder or add a fake extension to the end of the folder name and that should get you past this issue.

00christian00 likes this.
  4. 00christian00

00christian00

Thanks! How often do new release come out?
    By the way, this is planned to be merged back on what version 5.5 or 5.6?

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

We should have a new release out this week.

We are targeting general Daydream support for 5.6 but I can make no commitment to that at this point.

00christian00 likes this.
  6. 00christian00

00christian00

I managed to build, but If I play some scenes of my game the app dies without any error.

On some other scenes, the output is totally different from the editor. How do I enable VR mode in the editor?
    For example orthographic cameras seem to be unsupported(they are rendered as perspective) but works fine in the editor.
    I can control the camera orientation just fine in the editor, but gets overridden in the player.

By the way, my game is not a VR game, I just wanted to evaluate how hard it would be to implement VR support.
    The above have been tested with Cardboard as the only supported device, with minimum API 21.

7. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Have you looked in logcat to see if there are any crashes or other issues reported?

There is no VR mode in editor. You can however simulate stereo eye projection by using one of the Stereo VR devices. My understanding is that the Google Plugin also supports this but I don't enough about the plugin to give you proper direction there.

8. 00christian00

00christian00

Found the issue, it was a plugin I had removed due to the above problem that was causing a jni error. Strangely it was up the log and the game was still continuing to run, probably finishing to run all scripts in the frame before exiting.

I just tried the Google VR plugin and right now I must say it's a must, too many difference between the normal camera and stereo, not just the fact that it's two cameras:
    1-The FOV is changed at runtime.
    2-The camera position is overridden.
    3-The camera orientation control need to be readjusted.

Any plans to allow them to be simulated in the editor?

I don't have a VR device other than a cardboard headset, which I suppose it's not supported yet as a rendering target right?

9. Tuitive

Tuitive

@00christian00: the only currently supported headset device is the Nexus 6P