Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question ARFoundation, plane tracking. What is the max. distance to tracked surface?

Discussion in 'AR' started by Christin2015, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Christin2015

Christin2015

Hi,
    I want to track vertical surfaces that are not close to the camera. The distance between tracked surface and the camera would be ~ 10-20 meters, in my use case.
    My problem/ question: Vertical surfaces do not seem to be detected and therefore not tracked, if they are too far away.
    I tried this with one of the plane tracking demo scenes by Unity. In case, I am closer to the same surfaces, the tracking works of course, since there are sufficient features.

Does anyone know what I would have to change to achieve a working tracking and plane detection i case of greater distances, or whether larger distances are possible at all? Or could it be a question of culling, i.e. the plane detection works, but the planes are not rendered.

Thanks in advance.

2. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

AR Foundation is a wrapper around native AR implementations (ARKit, ARCore, etc.), so maximum tracked distance depends on a specific provider.
    By default, ARCamera's Far Clipping Plane is set to 20 meters, this may be the reason why you don't see tracked planes.

3. Christin2015

Christin2015

Thanks for your reply. I was using an iPad, distance was approx. 8-9 meters. But, I was trying the LiDAR. I read that it only scans within a distance of max 5 m.